FactoryTalk SE 6.10 HMI Server problem

mechanizator

Hello
I would like to ask you for help to solve problem with my FT SE 6.10 project. We have situation like: one server as Directory Server, 2 Windows Server 2008 machines as redundant HMI servers (with firewalls turned off) and 4 clients.
Replication from primary to secondary does not work, but more irritating is that very often after we reboot servers to test how they behave, we encounter problems like Hmi Server failed to load (with secondary server name). Today we lost 4 hours to make project working - after reboot we lost even topics declared in RSLinx Classic.
We checked settings mentioned in the Rockwell manuals and seems to be everything OK. Do we have to set some special properties for SQL FT tag database? Or some special services should be checked on the servers?
Sometimes when we make modifications in the project, we prepare backup. Turn of redundancy. Then we restore project on the second server. Turn the redundancy back on and sometimes it works, sometimes gives error of Hmi Server failed to load on secondary server.
This all staff makes me crazy enough, as the time for commissioning the project is near to end.
If you could give me some advices , I would really appreciate it.

Kind regards.

At a previous employer, we got so fed up with redundancy not living up to expectations, we traded "down" to standalone PCs for each of our HMIs. My counterpart spent weeks and weeks going over the thousands of tech notes and ensuring that all the right holes were patched and it never ever worked consistently.

Major version changes made some things better and other things worse. We had several occurrences of down times lasting 3 to 4 hours where the whole plant was down and often it would just start working again with no clue as to why. The standalone systems were much more reliable and limited the failures to 1/3 or 1/4 of production on the rare times we had failures with standalone systems, and we kept a spare PC so we could set it up as a back up for any of the others.

I left that company a few years ago, but I have recently heard they are switching everything over to Ignition to get away from FactoryBalk. I wish I could offer you some real help, but all I have to share is sympathy and evidence that you are not alone with these issues. One thing we did do successfully was raise hell with Rockwell and demand some discounts and trade in allowances when we needed to change our licenses. They tried unsuccessfully to find things wrong with our set up, and there were a few minor items they recommended that we change, but that did not turn their pig with lipstick into a stallion, so after all the down time and expense, our best short term move was to go away from redundant servers and use standalone systems.

Last edited:
We gave up on SE redundancy, we never had a failure where it would have helped and it caused downtime due to issues similar to what you're describing. It would only help in the event of a server hardware failure or network outage affecting only the primary server and not the secondary. Any software problems locking up the primary either lock it up and prevent the fail over or replicate over to the secondary. Our servers are virtual machines and our network is reliable so risk of hardware failure is low. Still our cost of downtime is high enough that we would use it if it worked, but unfortunately it does not.

I hope you can find a solution in your case.

Used FTView 6.0 redundancy with Windows 2008 servers and Windows 7 Clients at a customer several years ago. Works fine. FT directory is on a separate server.