PowerFlex525 and Micro850 PLC (EtherNet/IP)

timryder

OK got a job I'm trying to take over half way through. The engineer apparently designed this system to have the Micro850 communicate to the PF525 over EtherNet/IP. But I don't see any documentation out there for this type of communication setup. Does anyone have any help they can offer me about this?

Thanks

I am sure Ken or George will chime in later with way more info that I can offer but I will try:
As I understand the Mico line of controllers can on do Implicit Messaging like the Control/Compact Logix PLC's can. So you can add the drive to your project tree and get the tags you need to control the drive.

So you will need to do some Explicit Messaging between the PLC and Drive. Most likely it will be Modbus TCP/IP. So you may want to look up how to do that.

Not the best help but may get you going until someone with more experience than I have.

Rockwell Automation politely terms the use of Micro 800 series and MicroLogix controllers to control drives over Ethernet as "not a preferred solution". My own description is somewhat more strongly worded.

The RA Knowledgebase and Sample Code website do give examples of how to use the MicroLogix 850 and PowerFlex drives. The 4-series and 5-series are described in Knowledgebase Document ID # 565019 (Access Level: Everyone).

As I understand the Mico line of controllers can on do Implicit Messaging like the Control/Compact Logix PLC's can. So you can add the drive to your project tree and get the tags you need to control the drive.

Typos are forgivable but let me correct so that there is no confusion:

The Micro 800 and MicroLogix families of controllers cannot do Implicit Messaging like the Control/Compact Logix PLC's can. You cannot add the drive to your project tree and get the tags you need to control the drive.

Because the Micro 850 controller does support EtherNet/IP, the explicit messaging you will be doing will use that protocol and not Modbus or Modbus/TCP. The firmware in the Micro 850 will have to be Version 4 or later.

Typos are forgivable but let me correct so that there is no confusion:

The Micro 800 and MicroLogix families of controllers cannot do Implicit Messaging like the Control/Compact Logix PLC's can. You cannot add the drive to your project tree and get the tags you need to control the drive.

Because the Micro 850 controller does support EtherNet/IP, the explicit messaging you will be doing will use that protocol and not Modbus or Modbus/TCP. The firmware in the Micro 850 will have to be Version 4 or later.

If it was me, I would heed the cautions. It does not make sense to try to use Ethernet/IP to a VFD, from a controller designed to be cost effective in a Nano/Micro environment. Geez... with a handful of Digital I/O and one analog... you are done.

Thanks Ken for correcting my bad typo's!!

Thats what I get for trying to type out an answer on a smart phone while my Co-worker drives :)