Powerflex525 with 1756-m02ae

dp96

im pretty new to motion controls but i have been trying to figure out how to control this powerflex 525 with the servo axis module 1756-m02ae

per rockwells site i wired the 0-10 volt output of the axis module to the 0-10 input and common on the drive

i wired the enable + and - to Dig input 5 on drive and common

i set paramaters for digital input 5 for start src 2

start source 2 paramater is set to DigitalInputs and Speed reference for start source 2 is set to 0-10v analog input

i set analog input paramater T93(i believe it is) to Bi-Polar Enable (1)

issue is i cannot get the drive to move when executing a tune, MAM, MAJ, or anything. I can see that the drive is seeing voltage on the analog input) is there something im missing??

Is the 525 capable of servo/motion control? I was under the impression that the 527 was the servo drive in the 520 line, but I could be completely wrong on that.

Is the 525 capable of servo/motion control? I was under the impression that the 527 was the servo drive in the 520 line, but I could be completely wrong on that.
That would presumably be why the 1756-mo2ae is there. All the 525 is (should be) doing is adjusting its speed based on the servo module's output, fed into the drive's analog input.

Not sure why you'd do it that way instead of using an actual servo drive, I can't imagine it would work better. Nothing to do with the immediate issue though.

"i set paramaters for digital input 5 for start src 2"

By this do you mean you set it to a value of 3 ("Start Src 2")? If so, all connecting your enable does is tell it to look at the terminal block (source 2) for a start command, you still need to actually give it the start command. To use an input as the start, you'd want to set it to 48 ("2-Wire FWD") or 49 ("3-Wire Start"). 48 is the default setting for input 2 iirc.

yes thats correct i am trying to control the vfd with the analog signal basicaly and have the position control. nothing crazy accurate and this is for something i threw together for testing at work so i cant use whatever i want so kinda stuck with the options i have

and yeah i tried those options too but i notice the drive never started but you are saying i can basically just use the ethernet output start command? and how do i get the commanded frequency to write into the actual output frequency? ( at one point after this post i did a MAJ and the commanded velocity was moving and commanded frequency went up but no output

appreciate all the help

That would presumably be why the 1756-mo2ae is there. All the 525 is (should be) doing is adjusting its speed based on the servo module's output, fed into the drive's analog input.

Not sure why you'd do it that way instead of using an actual servo drive, I can't imagine it would work better. Nothing to do with the immediate issue though.

"i set paramaters for digital input 5 for start src 2"

By this do you mean you set it to a value of 3 ("Start Src 2")? If so, all connecting your enable does is tell it to look at the terminal block (source 2) for a start command, you still need to actually give it the start command. To use an input as the start, you'd want to set it to 48 ("2-Wire FWD") or 49 ("3-Wire Start"). 48 is the default setting for input 2 iirc.

I'm completely inexperienced with motion/servo controls, so forgive my ignorance on that.

for further clarification i had set the input terminal 2 (start fwd) to go high when the enable output from mo2 came on but it never would make the drive go. i kept seeing commanded velocity and frequency go up but im wasnt sure why the output freq didnt change. im not too confident in all my velocity gains and all in the module profile either tho though

edit: to be fair when i made the post i had misread some rockwell literature and had input 5 set but i did change it to input two with 2 way enabled, 3 way, start src 2(set as dig input terminal), and src 2 with spd(spd set to analog 0-10 and bipolar enabled) none of those worked weirdly

Last edited:
just realized im dumb

i can command a frequency and vwlocity all day long but i didnt think about having my start command from the ethernet. i was too focused on having the enable from m02 enable starting the drive when thats not really needed