Powerflex525 F114 uC failure

BradleyAllen1

I am experiencing an intermittent issue with some of our VFD's in a localized area. We have been having F114 microprocessor faults on a few of our drives. Most have been solved with a power cycle, but last week we had to replace the control unit on one of them, it wouldn't clear the fault. Im reaching out because now the NEW drive is showing the same symptoms. I was told to check the cooling fans for obstructions and blow out the drive with an EDS blower. That hasn't solved our issue. Im wondering where to go next? I see the PF manual talks about grounding requirements and im wondering if the issue could be there, as these drive go to the same groundbar inside the panel. Also noted, the output of the drive to these motors are all stranded cable, not shielded, and im wondering if there is some EMI at play here. Im reading up on Common mode current, but am fairly new to the topic. Anything helps, thanks in advance

This is in the pdf manual
F114 fault
• Cycle power.
• Verify grounding requirements.
See General Grounding
Requirements on page 20 for more
information.
• Replace control module if fault
cannot be cleared.

This happens to me when the grounding is not tight at VFD, Motor, and at the main panel ground bar.

When I went thru tightening all these terminals and also making sure the grounding requirements are met by the prints provided as compared the the drive manual.

This usually corrected the issue.

This is in the pdf manual
F114 fault
• Cycle power.
• Verify grounding requirements.
See General Grounding
Requirements on page 20 for more
information.
• Replace control module if fault
cannot be cleared.

This happens to me when the grounding is not tight at VFD, Motor, and at the main panel ground bar.

When I went thru tightening all these terminals and also making sure the grounding requirements are met by the prints provided as compared the the drive manual.

This usually corrected the issue.

Electrical design always show VFD with grounds, don't they? Wiring diagram and Panel layout all show grounds.

Electrical design always show VFD with grounds, don't they? Wiring diagram and Panel layout all show grounds.

I thought in the VFD itself there was 2 ground connections. Sometimes the electrical design misses this fact. 1 is the power ground, 2 is the chassis ground of the vfd.

And then the prints seems to make the ground note kind of vague in the corner of the prints and the electricians if inexperienced wont catch it.

As previuosly stated, try with checking grounding and installing filters. From my experience, often the problem is Surge Protective Device, that is leaking to GND.

Thanks for the assistance, we bolstered the ground connections on all drives in the area, and haven't seen the fault in the last week.
Did this end up clearing out these faults for you? We're seeing the same thing and had the problem recur after swapping to another brand new drive.

Do you have a High Resistance Ground ungrounded setup at your site? If you do I think you have to remove the MOV jumper or you will have issues. It is mentioned in the drive manual.