Replacing an L32e module

Nick Z

As mentioned in my last post I am replacing a L32e module which Is giving me a major unrecoverable fault. When it does I get no info on my HMI. this is a networked device and I was wondering if I had to have the exact same IP address for the new L32e or could I just assign another address to it. I was thinking it needed the same one and I am having a hard time finding out what it is.

If you used a different address then you need to change the other devices that are writing to it, if you have a off line copy of the program you can get the IP address from it then use that for your replacement CPU

If you can't get into the set-up download wire shark plug an Ethernet cable in between your laptop and the HMI (direct connection should work) and see what IP address the HMI sits there and tries to Query.

In general you will want the replacement controller to have the same IP address as the original one, so that the HMI and any other devices that communicate with it still can.

Finding the target IP address for the HMI is one way, and using Wireshark is another.

If you have the serial port available, you can connect using RSLinx Classic and browse through the controller's virtual backplane to the Ethernet daughtercard, then right-click and select module properties (I think that's the phrase; there are only a few options). That's where the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway are configured for all CompactLogix family controllers.

Unlike the SLC/PLC/MicroLogix, the IP address is not necessarily configured inside the controller program itself. Users often enter the address into the fields for the Ethernet daughtercard, but it's not necessary.