ML1400 to ML1000

Tom@Pton

I have a customer that has a ML 1000 we installed years ago. It is limited to the function of Stopping a series of motors when bin limits go HI. Motors are manually started otherwise. Limited spare I/O.

They have a C-More HMI left over from an abandoned project and a new project that most likely be using a ML1400 with analog input.

I would have liked the two PLCs to communicate with each other but it appears the simplest method is "Tag" each other via the HMI Event Manager.

Event A on the 1400 would trigger a Tag to the 1000.

Adequate plan or PP?

That will work. I've done it. Each event can have multiple "Tag Copy" actions associated with it. At the time I did the project where I used the method, the limit was sixteen actions per event. I used the one second bit to trigger the events. The ON state triggered tag copies in one direction, the OFF state triggered the tag copies in the opposite direction.

It will be more efficient if you group the data to be exchanged in consecutive addresses. If all sixteen tags in the group to be copied for a given event are consecutive addresses, the C-More will be able to transmit them in a single transaction. If there are gaps in the addressing it could take multiple transactions to send them all. At least that's the way it worked with the Modbus TCP communications driver. If you use the AB Ethernet driver you may get different results.