OT: Abrasion resistant material?

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Its not PLC related but many of you would know about such things so here I am :)

I need to find a material that can resist abrasion from a wet sand slurry shot at it from a separator. Tried 316 Stainless, Nitrile, PVC. Gum rubber is next but its an outdoor environment so Gum rubber is a problem outdoors.
Ceramic is obviously the optimal choice but I'm lining or fabricating a 14 in diameter pipe so that's not cost effective.

Ideas?

Those shot blasters must use manganese steel, not magnesium.

Manganese steel is very tough and abrasion resistant, while magnesium is light and soft like aluminium.

Cost will be a factor as well. Many moons ago, I worked at a pretty high tech place that build's pneumatic blasting and abrasive water jet equipment as well as some high end plasma coating stuff.

Anyway, there was a lot of centrifugally cast urethane used for reclaim ducting, and a lot of poured urethane for protecting tooling and such. Copious amounts of pure gum rubber to line things, special cast alloys at extremely high wear points in certain gizmos, and ceramics as well.

IIRC, the slurries were not as abrasive due to water being the carrier -vs- air, but sure did a great job on polishing oil holes in Diesel crank shafts.

Ahh, the good old days.

I would up using Tivar 88 UHMW. And it works very well so far. Cost was about $200 per application which was very inexpensive. Silicone Rubber was the next option in line. Wore well but because of the turbulent application, its problem was tearing at the point of attachment.
Its been nearly a year and they look like new, still have the factory mill marks. I'm quite pleased with this material.