No communications

saultgeorge

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an SLC500 Allen Bradley processor that uses an AIC communications module RS 232 to USB with an interface communication module to the PC, A-B 1747 UIC USB (DF1)
I have tried everything to communicate with this PLC. I have gotten the latest and greatest drivers for the DF 1, talked to tech support at A-B and I cannot get linx to see the processor. I have booted up to synch everything in, to no avail. I need to look at the program to see why the machine is having problems indexing to a home position.
I've tried configuring the drivers, autoconfigure in linx, and other things. Auto configure will say success and the USB light will light on the DF 1, but when I connect to the processor it will not see it.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks

The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. The serial port on your SLC500 has to be configured for DH485 protocol, is it?

If the serial port on your SLC500 is not configured for DH485 protocol then you need a USB to serial adapter and a null-modem cable. See links below.

http://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-usb-1747-cp3-1756-cp3-slc-5-03-04-and-clx/

http://www.tripplite.com/high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter-keyspan~USA19HS/

Can you tell us which SLC500 you have SLC5/01,02,03,04,05? There may be other options with the hardware you have.

Last edited:
Since you are a fellow Floridian I will hook you up with this link:

http://www.plccable.com/allen-bradl...1-cbl-pm02-1756-cp3-complete-programming-set/

If you are going to purchase a 1747-UIC then check out this link, you can get the Allen Bradley Complete Programing Set (except DH+) here for what you would pay for the one cable from elsewhere.

I have a couple sets and they work great.
If you need it right away give them a call or drop an email and they can arrange overnight shipping if you need it.

Where you at in FLA?

Regards,
BCS

Mickey Thanks for a quick response. It's a 5.
I'm not sure how I can check the configuration on the processor since I can't get on line with it.

Hi, thanks for a quick response. I already have the 1747-UIC.
I'm in Ormond Beach, live in New Smyrna. I worked in Alaska for years--chief engineer on a crab boat in the eighties, chief on some processors and last time a year contract as an industrial controls/PLC electrician for Trident--Akutan, Kodiak, St. Paul

I have not used the 500/05 but doesn't that processor have Ethernet capability on it?

So we have walked in a lot of the same circles.

I am on the other coast from you in Crystal River, but a hundred miles north of the Priv's right now.

BCS

Last edited:
Mickey
Sorry I can't figure out how to attach the program here--has an .RSS extension and this site won't allow that to be attached.
Anyway thanks for your time and have a great weekend.

View attachment 37662Alan (that's my middle name) here is the program. Thanks
George

The file you posted is for 1747-L20C/F controller. It does not have a serial port, DH485 only.

Baud rate is at 19200, node 1.

Your 1747-UIC will work with this controller. You will need a 1747-C13 cable to connect from the UIC and the PLC.

Last edited:
Mickey
Thanks for the help and input. I got it communicating. For some reason I have to unplug the RJ 45 from the SLC to the panel view to get it to communicate. On line and working fine now. Thanks again.

Thanks for the help and input. I got it communicating. For some reason I have to unplug the RJ 45 from the SLC to the panel view to get it to communicate. On line and working fine now. Thanks again.