AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I work on a plastic extruder that uses the following components:

SLC 5/05 PLC
Eurotherm T940 Process Supervisor
-Eurotherm 2500 modules
Wonderware running on Windows 2000 PC
New Red Lion 15" HMI (re-branded as Eurotherm)... my doing
New Eurotherm Mini 8 Temp controller (my installation)
Ethernet: PC, HMI, Process Supervisior, Mini 8
Profibus: Process Supervisor to 2500 modules
Devicenet: Just used for com between PLC and VFDs

The T940 is dead, and Eurotherm no longer fixes them. I need to figure out what my options are, and one option is looking into other manufacturers. I need to be able to control about 15 zones, heat and cool, and another 6 zones just heat. Plus the pressures from 6 pressure transducers. There are 3 panels: two extruders and one roll stand. Solid State relays are used for the heat, 24vdc control. Current sensors are used on two phases on most of the heat zones. The Eurotherm Process Controller communicates with the Wonderware for setpoints and displaying variables, and the Wonderware talks to the PLC for all of the alarms.

My long-term goal is to move control over to the new Red Lion HMI.... over time. I've had some glitches in the PC and so I've moved some functions to the HMI already. The HMI communicates with the PLC and the Mini 8 controller. I've had trouble trying to communicate with the Process Supervisor, so that control has only been through Wonderware.

I need to choose a replacement for the Process Supervisor, and Eurotherm has really long lead times. So I'm wondering about other manufacturers. I've come here because I'll need to program the controllers and integrate them into the existing system. You folks might know which choices are best from that end. Free or inexpensive software is a plus, since this is the only customer that I service for temp control. Ability to work with the Red Lion HMI is a must. Serial communications is a must, too.

Any recommendations?

SLC, Red Lion HMI and (2)Red Lion Modular Controller(s) is all you need.
The Modular Controller uses the same free software as your HMI

Dump the PC and Eurotherm