Edits online status

KevinO

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys. I am using an OPC server with Ignition to access our PLC's and having an issue. With our controlLogix PLC's, I can't seem to find a bit or anything that indicates whether or not that PLC has online edits being tested. We want to create a diagnostics screen that indicates all our PLC connection states and whether edits are present. Has anyone been able to or tried to do this? Thanks

Not sure if you'll get that specific status. Probably have to use a GSV instruction to pull out controller status information like that (if even possible). Run through the manual and see what is available using the GSV instruction.

Ya, I looked through the GSV objects and the only thing I had found was the audit value will change, but it simply increments with no indication of what caused it to change. There are many conditions that will cause the audit value to update.

Sorry to dig up an old post. I started looking into this again and found on our PLC5 systems that status bit S:1/6 is set to 0 if edits are assembled or untested and set to 1 when edits are being tested.

Does anyone know if there's a similar feature on CLX processors?

Which Controller? Which Firmware?

How closely did you look at the AuditValue attribute? It can be configured to only look at "Online Edits" modifications, if you so wish.

The "ChangesToDetect" attribute was added in version 20 which allows you to configure the 64-bit Mask value for the AuditValue attribute. You can SSV or MSG a change to the Mask value, or you can "Configure" it on the "Security" tab under Controller properties.

Each bit, within the 64-bit Mask, is assigned to a particular event. Bit "1" is assigned to "Online edits modified controller program". Any bit value set to "1" in the Mask will have its corresponding event monitored for changes and update the AuditValue. Any bit value set to "2" in the Mask will ignore its event and not update the AuditValue.

If you only want to monitor Online Edits changes then you could just enable bit "1", disable all others, and then monitor the AuditValue.

The only thing that I'm not sure of, and you'd have to test, is whether the AuditValue changes when there are pending Online Edits, such as Assembled or Untested, or does it only change once the Online Edits are Accepted?

As the description of bit "1" in the Mask is "Online edits modified controller program" it would suggest to me the latter.

This might not be what you are looking for, but it's the closest I can get you.

Regards,
George

Thanks a lot George! I did look at that before and tried to use it. It works for the most part, but it simply increments the audit value by a factor of 256 every time you test, untest, or assemble edits. It would be nice if it were ON or OFF like PLC5, that way you know for sure.

If you only monitor the Online Edits, from what I've seen, the AuditValue will be an ODD number if edits are assembled or untested and it will be EVEN if there are edits being tested. It's not 100% accurate, but better than nothing.

Thanks again for your help.