Data transfer

farima

Hi everyone,
I am just wondering how can I transfer data from AB PLC(studio 5000, logix designer) to ABB robot? I really appreciate it.

Can you give folks some more detail? If we knew things like model number of the PLC & Robot, type/size of data (i.e. two bits, 1000 floating point registers) and rate of data transfer (every 10ms, once a year, etc.), it could help us help you.

I've never worked with ABB robots, but there are several flavours of PLC that can be programmed with Logix5000.

I want to transfer 4 bits from AB PLC(studio 5000, logix designer) to ABB ROBOT(IRB 1600) , the type of data is DINT and send the data when camera sees the part. can I use UDT? If I can, would you be kind enough to tell me how to use it? many thanks

It's likely the restriction will be on the robot end regarding available options. Not sure how many on this forum are familiar with IRB 1600 robots. You may need to find an ABB robot forum to get the answer you're looking for. You mentioned the PLC software used. Can you tell us the hardware (ControlLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix, etc.)?

If you're only sending 4 bits, you may be able to get away with hard wiring each bit, provided the distance between robot & PLC isn't too long.

Last edited: