Siemens LED display connection problem

Nan

Hi,

I am trying to send the ASCII string to the third party LED display through profibus connection. I am using TIA Portal v13 and CPU 317. The ASCII string is looks like this ^A000000^L0^C1^K0^dC1123^Y0 this is for display message 123. So far, I used BLKMOV function send the string( ^A000000^L0^C1^K0^dC1123^Y0) in DB to the address. The message was sent successfully, but there is nothing on the LED. I also tried DPWR_DAT, but once the byte over 4, 801b error will appear, also the LED is consistent via UNIT in property setting, I do no think I should should use DPWR_DAT. I also tried to increase the size of process image, make sure it covers the LED in/out put. Attached are the images of settings. Thank you very much!By the way, the LED display is called EZMarquee and there is no error on CPU.

Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture3.jpg Capture4.PNG Capture5.PNG

yes, I got all 5 marquee configured (address, input, output) they are all connected with profibus with out an error on CPU. I used this display(ETHERNET BUILT IN) with AB PLC before, just send the ASCII string generated by marquee software and it will display on it...

I am wondering if TIA PORTAL can send an ASCII STRING directly?Do I need to convert the string to other types of data and send it?

Hi!

Remove all programs concerning the display.

Try to write to the QB512 .... directly from the variables window (I try to avoid TIA and have forgotten the name of the monitor-modify variables window).

It could f.x. be little-big endian mixup.

Kalle

Thank you for your help. But I can not set the address like QB512 in BLKMOV function. I can see the string in watch and force table in TIA.

What happens when you use BLKMOVE (capture 4)? Do you see anything on display?
Capture3 is from DB12? Then I think there is a mistake in BLKMOVE instruction. First two bytes of a string is max length and current length, index is 0 based. You don't want to send first two bytes, your actual string starts at byte 2. BLKMOVE src should be DB12.DBX2.0 byte 64.

Thank you for your information. I got something displayed last night, but it is not working again... there are must be some settings or some small things that I missed.

Read EZmarquee manual and it doesn't look like its just simple string transfer.

1. To write string to ezmarquee input area you need to make sure ezmarquee BUSY bit is not set. If you did not change default configuration status byte in your case will be in byte IB259 (busy bit is I259.1)

2. First byte of ezmarquee input area is not used, second byte is string length, then your string, input area length - 1 byte is not used and the last byte of input area is controller status byte.
In the manual stated that ezmarquee reads string only when ready to read bit of controller status bit is set, when it starts reading busy bit is set and while it is busy input are must remain unchanged.

To write 'ABCD' string to display I think procedure would be as folws:

1. check for busy bit (I259.1)
2. Busy is 0. Your output area starts at QB512. QB512 doesn't mater. QB513 = 4 (lenght of string 'ABCD') QB514-QB517 = 'ABCD'.
3. QB574 is controller status byte. Set Q574.0 to 1 (indicates that message is ready. Wait for high I259.0 ACK bit of ezmarquee
4. I259.0 ACK bit is 1. Set Q574.1 (ready to read bit)
Ezmarquee should clear I259.0 ACK bit and set I259.1 busy bit.

I finally got it work. It turns outs that I have to send the first 62 bytes to make sure the last two bytes are not covered by the bytes send. Thank you for all of your helps!! Especially marcius, I appreciate it!!