Upload from a Siemens 1515SC Failed right from the start

paredeso

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,

I'm new to Siemens PLCs.

I have a device that have a Siemens 1515SC IPC ruining the control and HMI applications, its documentation states that the version is v13 sp1 update8.
Currently I have TIA v13 sp2 update4 installed in the laptop.
The objective is to have a Backup.
I create a New Project (no device) and proceeded to upload from found device. and it fails right away.
also,
I created a new project and added the appropriate open controller. It failed the same way.

Any suggestions in how to get the backup?

Welcome to the forum! What error message do you get? Also how confident are you that the actual version in the PLC matches what the documentation says, is it possible someone upgraded it to a newer version? I would also try to get an offline copy of the PLC logic and upload into that, instead of trying to upload into a blank project

You say you need a backup. Do you need an upload of the project that you can edit in Portal, or is a binary backup acceptable, for device replacement similar to memory card transfer?

See this chart on SIOS which shows version upload compatibility. V13SP2 isn't listed, which makes me hope it SHOULD be compatible with V13SP1, but who knows.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/97554052

Agree, what does your error say? That's the most important thing.

speculation: is it a safety PLC? uploading those wasn't possible for a while, and even now it requires a setting to be enabled/compiled/downloaded before the upload is possible.

I have a device that have a Siemens 1515SC IPC ruining the control and HMI applications,
you mean "I have a device that have a Siemens 1515SP IPC running the control and HMI applications,"
Or do you really mean "ruining the control and HMI applications" ? :)

its documentation states that the version is v13 sp1 update8.
You can open the online status of the PLC via the 'reachable nodes'. From there you can see what the PLC is really programmed with.

Currently I have TIA v13 sp2 update4 installed in the laptop.
V13SP1 and V13SP2 are definitely not the same thing. Odd that V13SP2 is not listed in that FAQ.
Without knowing for sure, I would guess that the TIA version must match exactly. Except for using the 'compatibility mode' mentioned in the FAQ.

Hi all,

A_G, The error is: The selected object cannot uploaded from the device, for confirmation of the version, I'll reach the manufacturer of the machine.
I doubt that some one modify it but there is always a possibility. I did not find the original project on files, that is why I was looking into the backup.​

Mk42 binary is acceptable, I'm not familiar/I have not studied to card transfers. I did not see the slot for it but maybe is covered.
Yes it is not listed but that is what i have, I'll contact our vendor/rep to see if the can provide the same documented version.​
not a safety PLC​

JesperMP: :ROFLMAO:, Yes i can reach the node and it is identified as 1505s controller.
I think I saw an article that the versions should match, but based on the chart I was hopping that was not a problem since the previous SP was reaching back to v12.​

Thank you all for your advice!
:site:

upload_from_device_error.png TIA ver installed.png

The actual program, and also the Windows partition is on a CFast card that is behind a door.

In the dialog that says it is a 1505S it should also say which TIA version the program was made with.

There are some peculiarities because it is an 'open controller' and not a regular S7-1500 PLC. Possibly you cannot upload the entire station.
But if you create a dummy 1515SP station, you can go online and upload the program blocks.

You can install TIA V13SP1 in parallel to V13SP2. If you are willing to go through that you could give it a try.

It looks like they can not coexist in the same computer.
The installation of v13sp1 stop once it found that a newer version (v13sp2) was installed.
I may remove sp2 and test sp1.

Just a quick update:

Compatibility did not work.

The Manufacturer of the machine finally provided me with the Original Project file.

It was a challenge to put together the right software stack to be able to open the Project since it has other devices PLC+HMI+VFD.