Upload from Siemens PLC via VPN

AB11122

Hi,
We are trying to access a remote PLC for debug, the PLC is networked in with a PC that we can access through TeamViewer.
Is there a way we can use our Siemens software on a local PC (we can use Step7 or the TIA Portal) to upload the PLC program over a VPN such as TeamViewer without physically connecting to the PLC? We are trying to avoid an unnecessary trip only to attempt to upload the program.
Thank you.

Never used this myself, feel free to try it:

Go to menu > Extras > Options > Advanced (show advanced). Scroll most of the way down, you'll see "Install VPN Driver". This will hopefully let you VPN into the system that the remote computer is connected to.

Thank you! I should have specified, I have completed the above steps and have logged into the remote PC. The issue is getting the Siemens software to "see"/discover the remote PLC. (Maybe because of the unique IP address of the TeamViewer VPN?)

If Siemens uses broadcast packets to be discovered, they might not make it through the VPN. Are you able to ping the PLC from the local machine?

Are you able to ping the local NIC of the PC you are remoting into?
Also, have you tried by disabling firewall briefly?

I was stepping away from the computer when I sent you the pdf document above.

A critical step is to set a route between the IP of the PLC and IP of the Teamviewer VPN:

Open a command prompt and use the following:
route add <IP of remote PLC> mask 255.255.255.255 <IP of Teamviewer VPN on remote PC> metric 1

I suggest you look at the whole document. Unfortunately, Teamviewer VPN isn't "magical" like other devices such as e W O N, Secomea, Moxa, etc.

Yes, follow the PDF.
Another critical step is that the PLC must already have the IP of the Teamviewer PC as its Router/Gateway (as is described in the PDF).
This also applies to dedicated VPN gateways such as E W O N et. al.
If that is not already done, you need to update the PLC hardware configuration with the Router/Gateway in some other way.
Easiest is to install a trial of STEP7 or TIA on the remote PC.

Also note this:
(we can use Step7 or the TIA Portal)
You cannot merely upload a program made with STEP7 Classic to TIA or vice-versa. The programming software must match what the original program was made with.