Siemens S7-1200 Upload

yapchoonkiat

I am new to siemens and I am trying to backup program from a S7-1200. Firstly I tried to connect using TIA Portal V16, then it shows the program was in V11 SP2.

However when I try to connect using V11, I am able to go online and view the program blocks, I have tried all the method I have seen online or on YouTube (unspecified cpu model then detect, upload from online access etc) but all the upload options were not enabled. Then saw another method is using the compare function and switch the action to upload and execute, but i only get either download or delete from the selections.

Then I saw from siemens website that V12 should be used to upload from V11 (maybe I understand wrongly). When I try to upload using V12, it shows error because the program is in V11.

Any expert can advice how to backup the program from this V11 S7-1200 PLC?

According to this FAQ it should be possible to upload from V11 to V12. Follow option "L".
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/97554052

L means
You want to upload the software from a device into your project.

Note 3 says 'L' for all S7 CPUs in Compatibility mode

I think you have to setup a dummy CPU (same type no, same IP address), and then upload with 'compatibility mode'. Not sure what that means.

According to this FAQ it should be possible to upload from V11 to V12. Follow option "L".

L means

I think you have to setup a dummy CPU (same type no, same IP address), and then upload with 'compatibility mode'. Not sure what that means.

If I recall, "compatibility mode" meant opening a V11 project in V12 without migrating it to V12. Something I forgot we used to be able to do.

But yeah, you won't be able to "upload as new station", but you can upload the SW into an already existing PLC in the project. If you don't have the original, you create a dummy CPU like JesperMP said.

L means

Yes this is what i have read hence i tried to use V12, I add an unspecified CPU and click Detect, it was able to change to the same CPU and IO modules. However i cannot find the so-called "compatibility mode"

If I recall, "compatibility mode" meant opening a V11 project in V12 without migrating it to V12. Something I forgot we used to be able to do.

But yeah, you won't be able to "upload as new station", but you can upload the SW into an already existing PLC in the project. If you don't have the original, you create a dummy CPU like JesperMP said.

I don't have the original program, using the unspecified CPU method will give me error saying that the CPU was program with V11.

I follow the method in the link below using V12 and V13 but i couldn't copy the program folder or the individual program blocks.
https://support.industry.siemens.co...-possible-to-upload-program-from-device/76368

Try this:
- insert a S7-1200 plc into your project,
- switch to the "Project View",
- look for the real S7-1200 under "Online Access",
- select the complete program container and
- copy the program via drag&drop to your S7-1200 plc.

Yes this is what i have read hence i tried to use V12, I add an unspecified CPU and click Detect, it was able to change to the same CPU and IO modules. However i cannot find the so-called "compatibility mode"

You need a V11 project to open in V12. Create a project with your dummy PLC in V11, save, then open in v12.

However when I try to connect using V11, I am able to go online and view the program blocks

He doesn't have V11.
According to the FAQ, uploading the software from an S7-1200 with V11 should be possible with TIA V12.

Based on the quote from OP in first message, I'm assuming he has V11.

According to FAQ, you can upload in V12 IN COMPATIBILITY MODE. I'm 99% sure Compatibility mode = opening a V11 project in V12.

I guess he doesn't HAVE to put the PLC in the project in V11, he could create a blank V11 project and then open it in v12 and add the dummy PLC. But either way, as far as I know, that's the only way to "activate" compatibility mode.

Ah yes. You are right.
So the issue is more to do with that upload has to be enabled in the program that is loaded onto the S7-1200 ?

I think it's more to do with the fact that they hadn't invented an upload button yet in v11, and so you have to do it from v12, but into a v11 project.

As I recall, they were a bit slow to get things like "undo" into Portal. I've mostly tried to forget about the before times, but some scars can't be hidden....

Ah yes. You are right.
So the issue is more to do with that upload has to be enabled in the program that is loaded onto the S7-1200 ?

I think it's more to do with the fact that they hadn't invented an upload button yet in v11, and so you have to do it from v12, but into a v11 project.

As I recall, they were a bit slow to get things like "undo" into Portal. I've mostly tried to forget about the before times, but some scars can't be hidden....

Hi, i have succeeded following this:
https://support.industry.siemens.co...en-configured-with-step-7-v11-?dti=0&lc=en-MY

Using V12 to open the empty project file created in V11, then add a dummy CPU to detect, and i can click the "Upload from Device" all program blocks and hardware configurations were uploaded, this is considered a full upload/backup that i can download into a new PLC right? Anything did i miss?

By the way, it has a KTP600 Basic touch panel HMI, i used ProSave to backup the HMI. I do not have the original file so i guess that i cannot do any upgrade/migration using this .psb file? i can only try to buy the exact same model and restore the .psb file into it?