How to connect a router to the PLC

What is the purpose of the router? When I see the word "router" I picture an ethernet device that also has the ability to assign IP addresses (with DHCP) and has some security features as well. It's not very common to have these in industrial networks as pretty much everything has fixed IP addresses (ethernet switches are more commonly used).

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

You don't need a router to put a PLC on the company LAN and connect to it remotely. But, an Flexy/Cosy or Ei3 makes it a hell of a lot easier since you don't have to deal with IT in setting up a VPN. Just ask for an IP on the company LAN you can use and the Flexy/Cosy/Ei3 creates the VPN itself.

If you just want a switch to plug remote a PLC, HMI, remote I/O, etc. into, but aren't worried about accessing it remotely, Phoenix and Hirschmann make nice little switches.

http://www.alliedelec.com/phoenix-contact-2891152/70207931/ - Phoenix ENET switch

The Flexy/Cosy is made by e--w--o--n, minus the dashes. Not sure why it censors that manufacturer's name

Last edited:
VPN router

We use the IXON IXrouter. Really a plug and play solution to access your machine remotely. It gives you also instant access to the PLC's VNC and webserver from the iPhone/Android app. www.ixon.co