FTV ME Station - license not found

Steve Etter

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am a couple of weeks into the installation and startup of a system. A piece of this system is a FactoryTalk View ME Station as an HMI.
The station has been working as expected for over a week and as I started the day everything was fine - application running, a couple of updates, no problem.
Then, out of the blue, FactoryTalk decided it couldn't find its license. This is a brand new installation with new FTV Studio license and everything.

FactoryTalk Activation Manager appears to be working fine; it displays the correct license file and the Server State displays "Running". This is the only license on the system so I can't be confusing it with another. When I shut down and restart the software, I get the message "An FactoryTalk Veiw ME Station license was not found. The runtime will shut down in two hours".

I have removed and reloaded ME Station with no success. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Activation Manager. Neither worked.

In short, everything seems to be right but FTV ME Station won't find the license. Any ideas?

Steve

Have you tried to reinstalled license, you must have a license number and a product key.
Just connect you computer to the internet and try, just in case.
Go to activatiion manager, press refresh activation and show us that display.

Yep. When I reinstalled FTV ME Station, it came up with a message that it couldn't find Activation Manager (I didn't capture that exact message though). This makes me think it's not the license itself.

In any case, here is a screen shot of the activation.

Activation.jpg

The license you're showing is for studio(design), It's not a run time license. I wonk only with FT view SE, maybe i'm wrong but it seems to be that your were allowed to use run time for seven days and then expires.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what license you need for FT View ME, but I do know if you start FT View ME, run your application and then startup FT View Studio it will give you an activation.

Exactly as the error message says, you need a FactoryTalk View ME Station license. This is different to the FactoryTalk View ME Studio license that's showing up in your activation manager. The Studio license just allows you to run the development/design software (FTView Studio), but to actually run the application on a PC, the PC needs a Station license.

FactoryTalk View Machine Edition (ME) is a machine-level HMI that supports both open and embedded operator interface solutions for monitoring and controlling individual machines or small processes. FactoryTalk View Machine Edition allows for a consistent operator interface across multiple platforms, including Microsoft Windows CE, Windows 7, Vista, XP, and server solutions. Components of this HMI are a PC-based development tool called FactoryTalk View Studio and a separate runtime system called FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station. FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station runs projects developed with FactoryTalk View Studio. Flexible runtime choices include Allen-Bradley PanelView Plus platforms, with display sizes that range from 4 to 15 inches, and the industrial computers.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/1239781/2147816/Product-Design.html

You guys are right. The problem was that I THOUGHT I had and installed a Runtime copy when, indeed, I have the full ME version. When I initially installed it on the HMI PC, I only installed the ME Station. Once I went back and installed Studio, too, it found the license and the problem went away.

For now, I will run the HMI like this and buy a RT version later. Hopefully I won't run into problems with it between now and then.

Thanks for the help.
Steve