Parameter Passing in FTV SE Local Station and Studio 5000

Hi guys. Sorry for the dumb question but I am still new. I have learned to pass Parameters using an HMI tag so far. Can I write directly to the parameter file from the PLC bypassing the HMI tags? I was told that I want to avoid HMI tags PERIOD. I understand how to link it via the HMI Tags. If I can link directly to the PLC, what is the nomenclature? Let's say my linked PLC's shortcut name is MainPLC.

As an aside, I will be accessing the P_AiN AOI. I just learned about AOIs yesterday too so I have a lot to figure out tomorrow at work. The goal is to populate a table with each row being derived from a particular AOI's attributes. The row will consist of the tag name, description, value, if the alarm is enabled, and if it's value is within its defined limits. I am assuming the P_AiN AOI shall contain all of these attributes. I will verify first thing in the morning.

Thank you for your help!