PF 753 Faults on Jog

Billybear

Hi Everyone,

Have a 5hp rated powerflex 753 running in flux vector mode (SLAT min/max) with encoder feedback. The motor runs fine. However, when I press the jog button, the motor runs for a while, starts to ramp up to the jog reference but drive trips on HW overcurrent. The motor is not under load. The motor is a 3hp marathon blue max.
Torque reference is provided via an analog signal and its setting makes no difference to the fault.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Hi Nic00, thanks for your response. There are two jog buttons. One set for 90hz and the other for 45hz (params 556 and 557). Autotune was successful.

Do I need to set this up differently to be able to jog at those speeds?

I'm not sure, but I THINK that when you are in SLAT mode, a Jog command overrides the torque limit and temporarily puts it in speed regulation mode. Then if your accel time is too short, it might try to accelerate too fast which might put it into HW over current. What is your Jog accel time (par. 539) set for?

A HW overcurrent is bad juju. That means the drive detected the current leaving itself rising so quickly that the current controller couldn't maintain control of it. The IPM shut itself down before it turned into a bomb. This could be the result of very low output inductance or it could just be an IPM dying a slow death.

Your mileage may vary but I have never gone very long before having to replace a drive once it starts throwing HW overcurrent faults.

Keith