CompactLogix Controller or Program Tags

irondesk40

If you are creating a program to control a machine and it is a single program would it be best to create all your tags as Controller tags?
If i understand correctly from what my local rep told me that if you want to communicate with tags to a HMI then you should create those as controller tags.
Still trying to get use to the Tag way of programmming after using the Micrologix for the last few years.
Thanks

Ultimately, it is personal preference.

I much prefer program based tags, as that keeps things together and makes it a simple matter to move programs from one processor to another for re-use.

I use controller tags for things that are truly global.

All HMI's that I have used can deal with reading program tags directly.

Personally, for the type of program you mention, I would use all controller tags. If you had a single controller running 6 identical lines, or 6 different "areas" of a plant then I might separate into different program tags.

With only one program, definitely use contoller tags. I've always used program tags to isolate tags specific to a program that would not be needed elsewhere in the controller. Or it's sometimes beneficial to use the same tagname numerous times but in different programs.

Keep in mind you can still use program tags in an HMI, in particular, AB HMI's.