Relay
Motor on/off
LED
Moving coil meter - not confident
Hydraulic valve - not confident
Variable flow valve - Not confident
Motor speed control - not confident

Last edited:
If you just post your homework questions and indicate no effort on your own part, you're in for a round of ridicule instead of help.

Post your guesses, even if they're just guesses, with some details on the ones you're unsure of. That will get you assistance from this Forum.

I have this assignment and i cant find these answers anywhere. I just need to know which devices are Inputs and outputs for a PLC.

Moving coil meter
Voltage sensor
Proximity switch
Opto sensor
Thermocouple
Motor speed control
Variable flow valve
Pressure sensor
Switch
Motor on/off
Relay
Micro switch
Current loop
Hydraulic valve
LED
Solenoid

Thank you

I *suspect* some of these are input devices and some are output devices.

For the ones you aren't sure on, think about how you would interact with these devices w/out a PLC.

Let's take an outdoor temperature sensor for example -
These devices tell you what the temperature is and you can often flip a switch or hit a button to make the output display in degrees F or C. So, you are getting input from the sensor in the form of a temperature readout, and you are making a change to the device to control that readout.
So an outdoor temp sensor would input information and MAY accept outputs to control that information.

Inputs and outputs are a pretty basic concept. If you’re struggling to understand the difference and what the individual devices are, having someone here answer your questions for you isn’t going to help you in the short term and it will hurt you in the long term. If you don’t know and/or don’t understand what inputs and outputs are you won’t succeed in the field of Industrial Automation, it’s that simple. The concept of passing a class isn’t simply to get a grade and a degree, its serves the purpose of actually preparing you to be able to work in the field of your study.

A lot of devices can be called an input or an output. It all depends on what you are in reference to. For example, an OUTPUT from a PLC to turn on a motor is also an INPUT to a drive that controls the motor. It all depends on which device you are referring to.