Clock bit on Allen Bradley?

XxLinkxX

I was wondering if allen Bradley had a clock bit option like Siemens does. I have a 1 hertz clock bit on the siemens version and was wondering if AB had the same option. If not, whats the best way to pulse a 1 hertz frequency. I know timers is one way. Just looking for a fast way to do so.

Hi

It actually depends on which plc you are using
Plc 5 slc 500 micro logix compact or control logix

Donnchadh

It should take about thirty seconds to put in a self-resetting timer and a comparison statement; that's what I would do.

Otherwise, all MicroLogix and SLC family controllers have a free-running clock based on the controller's crystal oscillator that is stored in the Status data file in word S:4.

The individual bits of that clock can be used as 50% duty cycle flashers.

Because they're based on the crystal and not on the real-time clock, they don't have an exact 1 Hz period. Bit S:4.07 will be on for 1.28 seconds and off for 1.28 seconds.

Don't try to use the Real Time Clock (RTC) data file for a 1 Hz flasher; the Seconds value is only updated every two seconds so you never see any odd numbers.

Hi

If you look at the project tree under s2 data table
If you change the view to binary
Then looks at s:4/x and just replace the x with the time base you want

Donnchadh

Hi Ken

Outstanding information

Not only beat my reply time wise but also beat my answer hands down

Donnchadh

It should take about thirty seconds to put in a self-resetting timer and a comparison statement; that's what I would do.

Otherwise, all MicroLogix and SLC family controllers have a free-running clock based on the controller's crystal oscillator that is stored in the Status data file in word S:4.

The individual bits of that clock can be used as 50% duty cycle flashers.

Because they're based on the crystal and not on the real-time clock, they don't have an exact 1 Hz period. Bit S:4.07 will be on for 1.28 seconds and off for 1.28 seconds.

Don't try to use the Real Time Clock (RTC) data file for a 1 Hz flasher; the Seconds value is only updated every two seconds so you never see any odd numbers.

Thanks Ken, it looks like I will be sticking with the timers as well. Seems like a safer bet without having to mess around with the setting all that much.