FTV SE - Trend Template Glitch

Marzipani

Supporting Member
Has anyone witnessed this glitchy behaviour with Trend Templates?

I've defined several templates, but when I load some of them they come up as the wrong one.
ie. I stored only the Pen in the template and when I load it (only some of them) it comes up as a different pen.
Happens in runtime and development likewise.
I've triple checked and re-saved and repeated.
Some work, some don't.

Hmmm...

One guess: I have >30 templates, but only a 25 display license...?
---
FTV SE 8.0

The licensing (should) have nothing to do with the problem. Your trend display is a single display, not 30. Of course this is Rockwell's FTView SE, arguably the worst piece of trash out there. I am convinced that they sit around and design bugs and problems into that software (and then increase the price for every one).

That being said, although the base TrendX ActiveX has been around for years, and is (was) mostly stable, the incorporation into FTView SE creates some issues with memory management. In short, it's leaky with template loads.

Are you loading the templates from the TrendX object (right click, load)? Are you loading new ones without closing and re-loading the TrendX object first?

For the faulty ones, are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that when you save the template, you check off to save ALL objects? It is easy to save a template, and leave something unchecked.

Yes, one display with 30-ish templates. The templates are saved with only 2 attributes/features; pen and datalog model. And the display opens with all other features in the trend object which will be common with all pens.
I'm calling the templates via buttons on that display tied to VBA methods (Trend.LoadTemplate ...).

I only have a 25 display license, this is my way of having easy to use trending. One click to get what you want.

Would you say that I have to upgrade to 100 displays make 30 individual trend displays?
I don't have Rockwell support yet (coming soon...). Any thoughts on how to get to the bottom of this. I want to provide trending that's easy to use and intuitive.

Next I want to figure out an easy way (for blue collar plant operators) to pull up multiple pens at once with only one or two button clicks. I better make another pot of coffee. :)

No No No.
The number of licensed displays doesn't matter AT ALL.
You are only using ONE DISPLAY. You could get by with a SINGLE DISPLAY LICENSE if they had such a thing.

Are all of your tags added to an actual data log model?

What I meant was: If I buy a 100 display license I can make 30+ individual trend displays, and essentially no templates. But I'd rather not do that.

They are in the model, yes. Double checked.

How about this...
Don't use a different template for every view.
Load all of the pens to the trend object. Each trend object can have I believe up to 100 pens.
Then, use VBA to just toggle visibility of the desired pens.
That is usually what I do, actually, toggling them from a separate window, but you can do it from anywhere.

This is easier shown than described. Attached is my window for selecting pens. On opening, it queries the trend object on another display, sets the caption to the description of the pen from the trend, and allows for toggling on and off of the pens.

For this to work, edit the Display_AnimationStart() method to use the name of your trend display. By default, I just let the trend object name be "Trend".

I had tried that first actually... and will revert to that I think. Good idea, yes.
The concern was that data for all pens will be loaded when the display opens even though all pens but one are hidden. It did work decently, with less than of day in the log however. Most FTV SE installs I've witnessed (by others) have horribly slow update time for long term data. I suppose if i keep the 'records per pen' buffer data sufficiently low...

I'm aiming for the best approach because this is a new company and this will be the project template for years to come.

In a perfect world, an operator can pull up any or a combination of pens at the same time, see current data or months old data, all with a few button clicks. I've seen poor attempts at this with FTV elsewhere.
I really want to avoid: open Trend Properties, Add Pen, click 'Tags', navigate FTV data explorer (whose tags are necessary field device tag names), distinguish between online and FTV tags, 'ok', 'ok'. Just to quick find out if x happened at the same time as y.

I ideally, I'd do both. 2 displays: one with idea 1, one with idea two. If I can fix the template glitch (haha) that's what I'll do.

Have a good one, rdrast.