Learning ge processors

dcam

Lifetime Supporting Member
Started a new job that has a large number of GE PLC's. I came from a world of mainly AB and need to get up to speed with these processors. I was hoping that someone knew of a good training source to help me along. Any pointers would be appriciated.đź“š

The best advice I can offer is the same as offer to anyone who has to learn a brand when he's already familiar with another. Don't try to make the new brand behave like the old brand. Every PLC brand has to do the same basic things, but each brand has its own approach to those tasks.
The GE 90-30 line is contemporary to and similar in capability to the SLC series. The 90-70 is a contemporary of the PLC5. The Rx3i is similar to the CompactLogix. The VersaMax is similar to the MicroLogix.
The current name for the programming software is called Proficy Machine Edition. The same software, with the proper licenses can program the full product lineup including the Quick Panel HMIs.
Emerson purchased GE's PLC and HMI product lines a couple of years ago. Most of the local distributors who carried the products when they were GE continue to carry them now that they are Emerson. Your local distributor can steer you toward training. Some distributors offer training themselves, others send people to factory training.

Every PLC brand has to do the same basic things, but each brand has its own approach to those tasks.

+1

I still suck at GE's as the software is a little different, there was a person on here today that was looking for a print out of their program and I could not even open it (in Steve's absence)

We sell trainers that you may be interested in https://www.plccable.com/ge-fanuc-versamax-deluxe-analog-digital-and-ethernet-plc-trainer/

You can also go the ebay route and get some used hardware and dive in...

Words are simply registers ($R) in GE.
Everything is straight numerical location...no Rack:Slot:Bit construction. Plus it is decimal not Octal.
Standard Register is 16 bit, DINT and Real absorbs 2 consecutive registers.
Timers absorb 3 consecutive registers.
when searching it way easier to use number then type of IO....ie... %R00001 can simply be searched as 1R.

%M bits are memory and can be forced as can almost all logic can in GE.

Last edited: