Best model for S7-1200 home learning

Nortech

Hello All,

I have recently had the opportunity to dabble in TIA portal for the first time. Been working in automation for almost a decade now and have spent lots of time with Rockwell and omron products but have somehow managed to avoid Siemens (not by choice, just how it happened) other than some extremely minor program changes in Step7.

I’m now comfortable in the TIA IDE but would really like to take it to the next level. Been looking at some of the S7-1200 training kits that include a low end CPU and HMI with software etc. I have access to TIA v16 and just want to get comfortable with program structure and initial config, linking to HMI and knowing how to walk up to a line and pull the program from both HMI and PLC without fear. Also interested in diving into OPC UA down the line.

So my question is, what is the best CPU and HMI to go for without breaking the bank?

I don’t care how many IO it has as that’s not really what I’m after. More interested in functionality like SQL, OPU UA, configuring profinet comms to other devices etc.

Not at all familiar with part number etc so could someone please recommend a good low cost high functionality CPU and associated HMI that will work with V16 of TIA?

Was looking at something like this: https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/plcs-programmable-logic-controllers/2018381

But since I already have the software and not interested with the extras, I would be better just to get a CPU and HMI on their own. I suspect it would work out cheaper.

Thank you.

Have you got TIA Basic or Professional? - with Professional you get PLCSIM and you can simulate the HMI as well.

Have you got TIA Basic or Professional? - with Professional you get PLCSIM and you can simulate the HMI as well.

I have messed around with emulators from time to time but I like the idea of being able to set up comms to other devices.

eBay usually has some S7-1200s/-1500s.
Delta Motion buys a lot of used stuff off the internet. That is a good place to get some things to work with.

Way back in the 1970-1980s I spent a lot of money on learning how to program.
I had two CP/M-80 machines that I upgraded to MP/M and then CP/M-86. It mostly became obsolete when the IBM PC came out but those weren't cheap either. I bought a IBM PC-AT which was a 80286 but still running DOS but there was some memory management feature. I paid a lot of money for my education but it was on my own. Later I bought a Compaq portable 386 for $7K. Ouch.
However, what I did on my own gave me such a advantage over others.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Where to buy them is not really the issue, I’m more after recommendations on specific part numbers that would be suitable in terms of features/value.

Been looking at some of the S7-1200 training kits that include a low end CPU and HMI with software etc.

The one you linked from RS should do everything you need. If you speak to a Siemens distributor* you may be able to find one in stock.
That starter pack used to come with a 1211 which cannot use IO modules. The 1212 can support up to 3, so you can try out anything that you need.

Every 1200 has the same CPU but varying amounts of memory. For building testers you shouldn't come close to the memory capacity.

The HMI is the "basic" range but works exactly the same as the more advanced ones, just without the more advanced features like VB scripts. You can use the basic licence for this, but will need an individual WinCC licence for the more advanced screens.

*If you can find the page on their website, which is nightmare to navigate.

The one you linked from RS should do everything you need. If you speak to a Siemens distributor* you may be able to find one in stock.
That starter pack used to come with a 1211 which cannot use IO modules. The 1212 can support up to 3, so you can try out anything that you need.

Every 1200 has the same CPU but varying amounts of memory. For building testers you shouldn't come close to the memory capacity.

The HMI is the "basic" range but works exactly the same as the more advanced ones, just without the more advanced features like VB scripts. You can use the basic licence for this, but will need an individual WinCC licence for the more advanced screens.

*If you can find the page on their website, which is nightmare to navigate.

Excellent info, thanks. Do you know if the 1212 has any specific OPC UA or or SQL connectivity limitations? Very general question, I know… but I don’t know a lot on the subject and would like to change that but don’t want to get down the line and realise that the CPU doesn’t have the capability. Although I intend to dabble with node red which I’m told enable a lot of that functionality.

thanks!

Delta Motion buys a lot of used stuff off the internet. That is a good place to get some things to work with.

Way back in the 1970-1980s I spent a lot of money on learning how to program.
I had two CP/M-80 machines that I upgraded to MP/M and then CP/M-86. It mostly became obsolete when the IBM PC came out but those weren't cheap either. I bought a IBM PC-AT which was a 80286 but still running DOS but there was some memory management feature. I paid a lot of money for my education but it was on my own. Later I bought a Compaq portable 386 for $7K. Ouch.
However, what I did on my own gave me such a advantage over others.

I certainly won’t be spending 7k anytime soon but in my opinion, this is a solid investment. Set yourself ahead in terms of knowledge and the hardware will always have a decent resale value on eBay. Assuming I don’t blow it up…

Do you know if the 1212 has any specific OPC UA or or SQL connectivity limitations?

It can be set up as an OPC UA server but it's not something that I've had a play with.
Also not had to work with SQL but it can also run a web server which can provide logs and diagnostics, or run HTML pages. There's also an email function which allows it to send out logs as a CSV file.

Primarily robot controllers.

Which robot controllers are you using? Profinet (limited to either 16 devices) and Modbus TCP can be done through the onboard ethernet port, but if you have to set up motion control axis then you're limited to four modules.

It can be set up as an OPC UA server but it's not something that I've had a play with.
Also not had to work with SQL but it can also run a web server which can provide logs and diagnostics, or run HTML pages. There's also an email function which allows it to send out logs as a CSV file.

Sounds good to me. Looking forward to digging into it.

Which robot controllers are you using? Profinet (limited to either 16 devices) and Modbus TCP can be done through the onboard ethernet port, but if you have to set up motion control axis then you're limited to four modules.

Mainly ABB IRC5 but sometimes Fanuc, Epson, UR etc.