Somewhat OT : Coax cable stripper

kwade

This is a bit off-topic in a strict PLC sense, but it is in the process measurement area.
I need to strip some Alpha 9058C coax to mate with TE 5-1634500-2 BNC connectors. This cable will connect a switching relay matrix with an Agilent LCR bridge.

Link to coax cable doc

Link to BNC connector doc

Most of the strippers that I see come *close* to the dielectric strip length.
By close, I mean the strip length is off by almost 1.5mm.

One stripper (Tempo PA3240) seems configurable enough to achieve my requirements.

What stripper(s) have you used/would you use for this cable/connector mate?
I could use T-Strippers, but I don't want the 'Bubba Did This' look.šŸ™ƒ

Hey, GiT.
I did look there, but don't have any experience with them.
I will take your suggestion and contact them tomorrow.
Thank you!

The support guy at showmecables said that they did not have a stripper for the cable/connector.
There are adjustable-blade strippers. I am not seeing good (repetable) performance with the paladin/greenlee CST Vario stripper. The sheath blade pops loose and makes a spiral cut.
I guess wire strippers, x-acto and magnifying glass.

Thanks again, git

K

I have not contacted TE. Good idea.
I did purchase the handle and tooling called out in the document.

I have not contacted TE. Good idea.
I did purchase the handle and tooling called out in the document.

The chat with TE agent did not go so well. o_O
I asked for a strip tool that meets the specifications in the publicly available TE document.
Agent said that the alpha 9058C cable was 'restricted', wanted to know what company I work for --- and offered that I could search for a compatible coax.
I have 250+ feet at my desk.!!! The cable is available at mouser, digikey and alliedelectronics.

I replied that I want a TOOL to strip the coax to TE's specs, and did not need any more cable. :confused:

/rant

'restricted'

? why was is a special explosive cable? some companies...

Sounds like my issue, I had a temp probe go bad on my outdoor unit of my AC, so I called York and talked to the support guy and after a few minutes he agreed the probe was bad, he got me a part number (long story short) 2 months later I found the part and replaced it.

You can not buy HVAC parts, it is the worst industry I have ever seen.

from chat transcript (names removed)
<AGENT> The part number RG58C/U you have mentioned is a restricted product. May I know which company do you work for?
<ME> I do not know what 'restricted' means with respect to coax cable. Makes no sense to me. I am with 'xyz' <- company
<AGENT> Restricted means that the part is designed for a specific client and information about the product is only available with the Product Engineer
<AGENT> Who is your supplier?
<ME> I am unsure of the relevance of my supplier. The cable is Alpha 9058C. I have NO idea who supplied the wire. Are you trying to say that I cannot buy RG58C/U coax?
<AGENT> Yes RG58C/U is not available for purchase. You can search it on TE.com. The internal part number is 8-1606088-7. I will try to check with my internal resources to see if we have any other product with similar configuration
<ME> I do NOT NEED the wire, I need a stripper that will strip the coax to the specified dimensions.

-- it is NOT too restricted:
allied

digikey

mouser

Whilst a completely different industry (telemetry radio) I've always just stripped coax with a knife and used a pair of precision side cutters for getting the centre conductor the right length. I start a bit longer than it needs to be to bottom out inside the centre pin cavity, then trim until it exactly butts up against the dielectric.

The right crimp tool for the centre pin and outer ferrule is far more important. RG58 is a very common cable so you should be alright there, just make sure to use the right die as many tools have multiple ones for RG58 and RG59.

Only once i have the centre pin inside the connector do i trim the screen, using the precision side cutters.

Its probably not as fast as using a purpose designed strip tool but we generally only have to do 4 connectors on any given site and it only takes 2-3 minutes per connector.

@Saffa, I do have the TE tool handle/die set.
9-1478240-0 <-toolhandle
9-1478242-0 <-hex die set

So that is covered.

It seems that I will have to go 'Full Strength Bubba' this time, too!

I have to make a lot of antenna cables for telemetry systems and we use Olympic 5267 which is RG213 with a 7 strand center conductor and braided shield. I have tried a couple of different dismantling tools, but the best results so far have come from a sharp box knife blade and a little practice.