Somewhat OT, but I need.....

David_Emmerich

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi group,

I need a single phase 120vac speed control for a 1/2 hp gear motor, that is running a hoist on a degreaser system we are building. I know, DC or 3 phase would have been a better bet, but this is what I was handed, and it's already installed in the machine...I just hate picking up the pieces....

Any thoughts?

David:unsure:

Change to a three phase motor, use a VFD.

In almost every case, speed control of a single phase AC motor is impossible, unless you have a very special motor, in which case you would have spent more for the very special motor then you would have for a three-phase motor and VFD.

Dave
I don't think anybody has asked it 3 phase avaliable to you or do you have to have a single phase system. Either way I like everybody else has said can only offer to 3 phase it. We have some little drive boards in a ITW melt system that are pot setup no programming. 2 screwdrivers and you can have them running off single phase.

Hi group,

I need a single phase 120vac speed control for a 1/2 hp gear motor, that is running a hoist on a degreaser system we are building. I know, DC or 3 phase would have been a better bet, but this is what I was handed, and it's already installed in the machine...I just hate picking up the pieces....

Any thoughts? David:unsure:

Dave
For sure in degreasing I would consider total enclose motor because of
1. Goop dirt etc in motor
2. Solvent interaction with windings (degradation of insulation and or phosgene generation with chlorinated solvents -- as an example)
3. Flammable solvent considerations.

Is speed control really mandatory - can you leave well enough alone? Nice to have and all that but,,,,

Think VFD fed from 120 single phase (unless you have 3 phase) and 1/2 HP 3 phase motor is way to go. Too bad they did not think of this up front
BUT
It is job security !!!!!!!!!

Dan Bentler

Take a look at the ABB ACS55 if a VFD is an option. 120V single phase in, 230V three phase out. Program with 8 dip switches and three pots.

Doesn't get much easier.