Simulate 1200 screen in TIA portal Siemens Step7

dahnuguy

I have been using TIA portal 13 for several projects HMI. The HMI is 1200 panel.
On the previous project, I could connect to the PLC and use "online/simulation/start" or CTRL+Shift+X to start a simulation of the 1200 HMI on my PC while also viewing the plc code in step 7.
On this project, I can go online with the HMI, download to the HMI, set the IP and select the HMI in accessible nodes. But the simulation is grayed out , both in the menu and also the PC icon on the TIA portal tool bar are non functional.
I am on the home screen of the project and the home screen window has the focus.
The PG interface in control panel is set to the real network card.
I thought if I could go online from the HMI software in TIA Portal, and download to both the HMI and the PLC, the simulation should always work.
I have read all the posts and followed all the advice, but still not working.
I do not want to simulate the PLC.
I want to run a simulation of the screen of the HMI on my PC while online with the real PLC to debug some code.

The HMI the PC and the PLC are all in the same network subnet.

Your description is a bit conflicting. But from what I understand is that you want to simulate the HMI in conjunction with a real PLC. I think this should be possible but i'm not entirly sure.
It could be that the HMI simulation want the PG interface set to PLC-sim

As TIA is still buggy as f*ck, Have you tried rebooting the pc?

Sidenote: A real panel with a simulation PLC will not work without a workaround(at least for the old plc-sim).

A real panel with simulation PLC will work, if both (HMI simulation and PLC simulation) are running on the same PC. Otherwise: nettoplcsim

The buttons in TIA portal have some magic. The buttons for simulation are only enabled when you select an element from the HMI tree. Sometimes you have to click somewhere else and then again into the HMI tree (don't like the TIA portal for myself, due to such behaviuor).
Then it should work to connect a HMI simulation to a real PLC.

Is this the same PC & Portal install you used before, when Simulate worked?

Also, I don't think going online with the HMI actually has any useful effect; you can't upload or monitor it. You can download without going online with the HMI first. The state of being online disables many options. Simulation might be one of those.

Not sure how any of this is "conflicting". UNless you mean "It shouldn't do that", to which I agree.

Yeah if it was simple, I wouldn't be asking here.

Here is the simple version:

Online with HMI and PLC from same PC. All on same network subnet.

Upload and download to HMI and PLC from same PC. So all connected and online and communicating.

Used this same software and same part numbers of hardware on other project last week and could simulate without any trouble.

Now Simulate function is grayed out.

Read all the posts at Siemens site, none of that solves issue.

Waiting form response from Siemens. Expecting the long wait followed by questions that are answered in the original post.

I usually have good results here after a a day or so.

I did not use any PG configuration with simulate before, I used the actual network hardware because I want to communicate with the actual PLC in the project not simulate the PLC.

All set up and config is the same as last week, as far as I can tell.

I am sure there is some gotcha somewhere. Some small hidden detail.

Is this the same PC & Portal install you used before, when Simulate worked?

Also, I don't think going online with the HMI actually has any useful effect; you can't upload or monitor it. You can download without going online with the HMI first. The state of being online disables many options. Simulation might be one of those.

good point also tried to simulate without going online with HMI first.

Online with HMI proves the cable network card and all communication, which is why I think it is significant here.

A real panel with simulation PLC will work, if both (HMI simulation and PLC simulation) are running on the same PC. Otherwise: nettoplcsim

The buttons in TIA portal have some magic. The buttons for simulation are only enabled when you select an element from the HMI tree. Sometimes you have to click somewhere else and then again into the HMI tree (don't like the TIA portal for myself, due to such behaviuor).
Then it should work to connect a HMI simulation to a real PLC.

I thought the same thing, even read one solution where someone wasn't selecting a screen first. The 1200 panel simulation just simulates the active screen. I have a screen open and after reading your advice, I selected and de-selected several screens and no change.

Simulation still grayed out.

What I would LOVE from Siemens is a pop up that tells you why something isn't working when you click it. At least a cryptic fault message in hex and a hidden fault list somewhere with a numerical name that doesn't relate to anything. That would be great compared to "nope".

Please give the exact type and version of the HMI you have configured. Maybe there are some version issues.
I've got a 1200 for testing here on my workbench, I can test if it works with my TIA portal setup.

Please give the exact type and version of the HMI you have configured. Maybe there are some version issues.
I've got a 1200 for testing here on my workbench, I can test if it works with my TIA portal setup.

I do not want to simulate the PLC using a real HMI, your HMI will be of no use.

I want to use my PC with the TIA portal software running the HMI software file with a real PLC.

But to satisfy your question:
TP1200 Comfort
12.1" TFT Display
6AV2 124-0MC01-0AX0

VER 13.0.1.0

New information.

I archived my project and put it on another PC, we have the same software versions and I checked the licenses, they are the same.

Simulate works fine on his using my project. But not on my PC.

When I started this project, I had to install WIN CC Flex. Maybe WINCC Flex has stepped on TIA PORTAL?

Of course it is so easy to jump to this and say that is the issue, but I need to know for sure if it is a known issue before I stop looking or re-install software all day.

WinCC flex has used the Microsoft SQL server, so there may be issues with that, if you have different versions of the MS-SQL server.

But TIA Portal doesn't use the SQL server any more, so there should be no conflicts.

Have you installed WinCCflex after TIA-Portal on the problematic machine?

I just tested with 1212 cpu with Comfort and Basic panels- works fine
I also have WinCC Flex installed...........
with about every other piece of Siemens software installed

Used this same software and same part numbers of hardware on other project last week and could simulate without any trouble.

Now Simulate function is grayed out.

Is this the same PC that you used last week? (maybe a silly question, but you never know)

If not, you need to make sure that the Simulation was actually installed with WinCC. There is no extra license required, but it isn't installed by default.