You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 18th, 2018, 09:06 AM   #1
Evirua
Canada

External tool for diffing acd files

As it apparently isn't possible for VCS to diff native binaries like .acd files, are there any known integratable external tools that can fill that function?
Old September 18th, 2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Nova5
United States

are you trying to compare two logic files to determine the changes between an known good and changed?
Old September 18th, 2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Evirua
Canada

Just basic version control that's done easily with text files, but with binaries; I would have my dummy1.acd files, perform some changes and then save/commit it as dummy2.acd, then I want to be able to view the differences between the two versions, what changed.

RS Logix has it own compare tool to do that, but I'm looking for an external one that I can integrate with a VCS.

Last edited by Evirua; September 18th, 2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old September 19th, 2018, 08:02 AM   #4
Nova5
United States

I know of nothing beyond the RS Logix compare that will look into them for changes like that. Maybe others will have any idea of other software, but rockwell is rather... protective and might not allow the development of outside readers.
Old September 19th, 2018, 10:31 AM   #5
Aardwizz
United Kingdom

You'll have a problem with .ACD files, because those files keep track of online data, which naturally changes over the course of time, but can be ignored when comparing for differences.

If you save your .ACD file to a .L5K or .L5X format, these are native ASCII text files, and could possibly be integrated into your VCS. The Rockwell compare tool does essentially the same thing -- exports the two ACDs to L5Ks, so that it can compare them readily.

Heck, I've used DOS's fc.exe to find differences between .L5K files when desperate.
Old September 19th, 2018, 05:14 PM   #6
Geoff White
Australia

There was a thread in here recently about opening up acd files to get the contents out. Turns out they are 7zip archives. Install 7zip and you can access file structure inside in much the same way as .jar or .docx file.
Old September 19th, 2018, 06:12 PM   #7
dmroeder
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff White View Post
There was a thread in here recently about opening up acd files to get the contents out. Turns out they are 7zip archives. Install 7zip and you can access file structure inside in much the same way as .jar or .docx file.
I believe you are thinking of .RSS rather than .ACD.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthr...t=54959&page=2
Old September 19th, 2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Geoff White
Australia

I stand corrected
Old September 20th, 2018, 04:13 AM   #9
Phil Buchanan
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Factory Talk AssetCentre can compare files and show changes. This is to compare what you are checking out versus what is running in the controller or what you are checking in to the database.

It can also go out and compare files on its own and alert you if what's running in the controller is different from the last version checked in and alert you to investigate.

GIT will also show you a checksum change and files size change but can't provide any details on what the differences are.

Software similar to FT AssetCentre like MDT Auto Save and Version Dog can detect changes also but they are not as in depth as AssetCentre.

http://www.KeyAutomationTraining.com
Old September 20th, 2018, 05:39 AM   #10
crawler009
Switzerland

We use Versiondog (from auvesy). It does a pretty good job with .acd files (showing differences, also detecting if no changes were made)

Last edited by crawler009; September 20th, 2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old September 21st, 2018, 08:13 AM   #11
Evirua
Canada

Thanks to everyone for your informative replies.
Old September 21st, 2018, 11:59 AM   #12
Sapper307
United States

I'm not sure if it will work on that file extension type, but a really great file comparative tool i use all the time is called Beyond Compare from Scooter Software. Once you've installed it, when you right click on a file you'll get the option to "compare", then right click n the second file and select "compare" again. It red lines all the differences in the two files and even gives options to equalize the differences either from left to right or vice versa. If the file extension is a compiled file it may look funny though. Oh, and its free but you can buy a copy if you plan to use it for longer than the trial period.

I have no affiliation with the company, just an end user.

https://www.scootersoftware.com/

Last edited by Sapper307; September 21st, 2018 at 12:01 PM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum