Connected Components Workbench and Micro 810 questions

Micro 820, or 850, with a PV800 and if you need a VFD a power flex 525. Is a pretty good little inexpensive setup in my opinion. CCW has gotten much better over the years as well as others have stated.

The 820 is a bit obnoxious if you need to retain data on power cycles too as has been stated, that’s why I suggested the 850 if you need Ethernet versus the 830.

Just to throw another bit in there:

If your controls aren't complex, the Micro 820 ($250) with the Remote LCD ($150) would do the trick. The remote LCD only works with the 820 series, though.

I really dislike the 800 series panel views. They are overpriced compared to other options. Personally, I use Maple systems HMIs when I do a project with a micro 800 PLC. I've found Maple to have good support. The only issue for me has been the fact that they are on the west coast, and so the hours don't always line up. The basic HMI is around $300.

We've used CCW for years. V11 is much better than previous versions. Be sure to get the add on pack to get the "look and feel" of Studio or RS500. Supposedly you can cut and paste Studio and RS500, but we haven't had much success with that. It does give LAD, STL and FB programming.

Stay away from the 810 use an 820 or an 850.

For HMI's we use the EZ Automation EZ3 series which has a very good driver for the AB Micro line.

Another option for HMI would be anything that uses Modbus TCP/IP. The Micros speak Modbus TCP/IP, you just have to map your I/O

Hmm..well I could easily do the program in a day using 500.

In the meantime I am checking out the programming software for the Click PLC from AD. The basic unit with no extra modules will suffice.
And yes I am going to want to use an HMI. Their 6 inch C-more would be a good choice.
And I downloaded a fresh copy of CCW to look at again.

I've been impressed with the reliability of PLCs from AD. Granted, the Click is a relatively new line, but we have several old DL240s running without issue for decades. On the plus side, if you ever do have issues with it, replacement is easy, and cheap. You also said in another comment that there would be several of them in close proximity, so it makes even more sense to keep a spare on the shelf.

IMHO I like CCW better than Click. Click is OK for VERY basic ladder operations, but the software is rather antiquated.

CCW give the tag based and is more powerful with user defined function blocks and the different programming languages (LAD, STL and FBD)

User Defined is available only with the developer version. You can use a UDFB but not modify or create one in standard version.

I hate to be contrary, but we use CCW Standard version all the time and I have written multiple UDFB's Just right click on them, choose the language and program away. Can even edit ones imported from the Standard Code Library or other sources.

I've been impressed with the reliability of PLCs from AD. Granted, the Click is a relatively new line, but we have several old DL240s running without issue for decades. On the plus side, if you ever do have issues with it, replacement is easy, and cheap. You also said in another comment that there would be several of them in close proximity, so it makes even more sense to keep a spare on the shelf.
+1
The Click or the Productivity1000 would be a better alternative, IMHO.

I hate to be contrary, but we use CCW Standard version all the time and I have written multiple UDFB's Just right click on them, choose the language and program away. Can even edit ones imported from the Standard Code Library or other sources.

Sorry... I should have said User Defined Data Structures (UDT). You cant create a new one in the standard version.

Last edited:
IMHO I like CCW better than Click. Click is OK for VERY basic ladder operations, but the software is rather antiquated.

CCW give the tag based and is more powerful with user defined function blocks and the different programming languages (LAD, STL and FBD)

Not familiar with CCW. All depends on what you need. I just finished a project integrating a click, c-more panelview, and a servo system, and it all worked pretty seamlessly.

If you do want tag names instead of fixed memory, AD also offers the Productivity series. I haven't installed one yet, but have downloaded and played with the programming software some. I don't have a lot of experience with other systems, but seems as easy to use as RSLogix.

Click PLC is very basic and no online programming? Never! Will not use anything that does not have online programming these days - too hard to shut down plants to do a small change. Costs a lot of money with production. Looked at CCW a long time ago - discarded it - have to have a look at the latest version.

Well, yesterday I tried to install the latest CCW..what a nightmare...first it wouldn't get past the first 5 minutes of the install due to some error.....then after a reboot it did but it took way over an hour...only a small portion of the installation was devoted to the actual Micro PLC, all the other stuff was related to drives and stuff....and I wasn't able to de-select that stuff at the start when you look at the 'custom install' options...then when I was done, it wouldn't run due to some kind of activation-related error...and nor would my RSLinx ..... I went to uninstall it but got scared off by a warning window stating that the RSLinx portion would be erased and I was worried it would wipe out my installation of Version 3.xx something installed about a year ago...I am in the middle of a project and did not want to take a chance on having to reinstall RSLinx......so luckily I had created a system restore point on my PC before doing anything...did a restore and all was back to normal after about 4 hours from the initial start. Bye bye CCW...for now.
As for the Click PLC, not being able to do online programming for this job is not really a concern for me.

Yes, CCW is HUGE.

I was told the reason for this is it contains virtually every install manual/cutsheet/etc for all of the Allen Bradley controllers and drives it supports.

As with any PLC software, I highly recommend you use virtual machines and keep them separate from others.

Click PLC is very basic and no online programming? Never! Will not use anything that does not have online programming these days - too hard to shut down plants to do a small change. Costs a lot of money with production. Looked at CCW a long time ago - discarded it - have to have a look at the latest version.

They have since added ethernet PLC's to their lineup that are capable of run time edits.

https://youtu.be/8bmbRuIlvdA