Connected components workbench 525 drive connection

Bigtime

was trying to use Connected Components to connect to a 525 drive via usb with the face off but can't seem to connect to it. the screen lights up on the drive but I don't see anything on my laptop and it won't connect through the program. Do I need to purchase a 1203 USB? Not sure how that all works.

Which brings me to another question. can I connect to the DSI port with the face off as well or do I have to do that with power to the drive. first time messing with this program and I haven't been able to find much information on google so I'm not sure if I'm not asking the right questions.

You won't be able to connect using the "RSLinx" or "FTLinx" type method. The ports and the control unit don't actually do anything when the USB is connected. The USB is powering just enough to let you upload and download parameters.

-The drive will appear as a flash memory device.
-On that device is a program which lets you upload and download parameters.
-Upload the parameter file.
-Open the file using CCW -> File -> Import Device -> Drive File.
-Configure your drive.
-Export the drive file.
-Use the drive program to download the drive file back to the Powerflex.

You won't be able to connect using the "RSLinx" or "FTLinx" type method. The ports and the control unit don't actually do anything when the USB is connected. The USB is powering just enough to let you upload and download parameters.

-The drive will appear as a flash memory device.
-On that device is a program which lets you upload and download parameters.
-Upload the parameter file.
-Open the file using CCW -> File -> Import Device -> Drive File.
-Configure your drive.
-Export the drive file.
-Use the drive program to download the drive file back to the Powerflex.

Cool. Thanks for your help. Just checked it out. There was something I wasn't understanding. I got that now.
So as far as the CCW goes do I need the 1203 USB to use the DSI port to run the drive on the CCW program? or is there another way?

For the 525, I set the IP address using the drive keypad and connect CCW via Ethernet.

May be a stupid question but do you need a special cord or can you just use a regular ethernet cable? I guess i don't understand the purpose of that 1203 usb that Allen Bradley tries to sell you for a grand.

A standard straight-thru Ethernet patch cable will work. A crossover cable will also probably work (I'm pretty sure the ports are smart enough to figure it out). You can connect your PC's NIC directly to the drive or through a switch, once you have the IP set, of course.
If the drive is at factory default, you can also use the Boot/P utility to assign its address. Frankly, I've found the keypad to be faster.

There are drives that only have a DSI port built in, mostly older ones. For them, you need the 1203 or an add-on module (if available).

Edit to add:
It probably goes without saying, but make sure you plug your Ethernet cable into the Ethernet/IP port, not the DSI port.

Cool. Thanks for your help. Just checked it out. There was something I wasn't understanding. I got that now.
So as far as the CCW goes do I need the 1203 USB to use the DSI port to run the drive on the CCW program? or is there another way?

The opinion of others' may differ, but to me there is no use trying to use DSI for anything programming with the presence of both USB and Ethernet. The only thing I have ever used DSI for is Multi Drive architectures.

joseph I think you will find that the PF525 has no ethernet only DSI, the PF525 has both.

*PF523 is DSI only, but I think that's what you meant. The post previous is referring to some of the older PowerFlex drives that used things like DSI, ScanPort and so on...