“Change Controller” Software Version to Allow Project To Open?

Colt Hero

GuardLogix 5570 Safety Controller.

Just tried opening project and got the pop-up saying my project file is configured for version 24.02, but “Logix Designer support for this revision is not installed”.

It’s telling me I can do one of two things:

Install Logix Designer support for 24.02 OR

Change the Controller’s Revision and/or type in the project.

If I click on the defaulted button to “Change Controller”, it shows:

From: 1756-L71S GuardLogix 5570 Safety Controller Version 24.00

To: <same controller type> Versions selectable as 27.00 or 28.03

There’s a warning at the top of the window about “changing the controller type”, but I assume that isn’t necessary, but can I simply change the software version to make it open, and WHY is this necessary? This is the first time I’ve ever opened this app, and it’s about 5-6 years old. Am I using the wrong software here? The .ACD file shows type “Logix Designer Project”, which is invoking “Studio 5000 Logix Designer”, as opposed to “RSLogix 5000”, which I’m accustomed to seeing for every other .ACD file I’ve ever opened.

What’s so different about this particular project?

Do you have V 24 installed on this computer?
You need the major* version installed to open a programs created in that version. Yon may need multiple versions installed depending on what you are supporting.

Example - If you had V28 installed, it would only open V28 programs and not a V20 or V19 program. Hope that made sense.

* I purposely didn't mention the minor issue with the V20 and V21.

Looks like “Studio 5000 Logix Designer” - which is automatically being invoked when I double-click on this particular .ACD file, is version 27.

By “major” version you mean the whole number to the left of the decimal while the “minor” version is the number to the right? So “24.02” is major version 24 and minor version 02?

So I don’t have version 24. Can I just click the “Change Controller” button and select “27” for the version of the project so it matches what I’ve got loaded on the laptop for project software?

Can this change just be temporary so I can at least go online and investigate a problem - and then NOT save on the way out ... or is it gonna go through some kind of irreversible conversion process on the application? OR - will it not go online after the version update anyway?

Last edited:
By “major” version you mean the whole number to the left of the decimal while the “minor” version is the number to the right? So “24.02” is major version 24 and minor version 02?

Yes.

So I don’t have version 24. Can I just click the “Change Controller” button and select “27” for the version of the project so it matches what I’ve got loaded on the laptop for project software?

Yes but... that will only open the software with the controller in your project upgraded to V27. You cannot go online with a V24 controller. It will tell you to upgrade the controller, but that's a firmware update, and you won't want to do that now.

Can this change just be temporary so I can at least go online and investigate a problem - and then NOT save on the way out ... or is it gonna go through some kind of irreversible conversion process on the application?

Make sure you have a backup of the file before you change versions of a file! If you did it already, check for the earliest file with the word "backup" in it which is in the same directory as your .ACD file.

OR - will it not go online after the version update anyway?

Again, no. You need to install V24. If your company has a valid TechConnect contract and serial number for Studio 5000 Logix Designer, you can download it here (select 24.02 in the version dropdown):

Rockwell Automation Compatibility & Downloads

Last edited:
You need to install V24. If your company has a valid TechConnect contract and serial number for Studio 5000 Logix Designer, you can download it here (select 24.02 in the version dropdown):

Rockwell Automation Compatibility & Downloads

I haven’t done anything yet.

Can this downloaded version 24.02 co-exist on the same laptop with the current version 27?