Finding tags in Factory Talk View studio- machine edition

realolman

I don't know what terminology to use here.

In the controller ladder logic it is referred to as N7:40 I would like to find it in the panel view application.

How can I find N7:40in the factory talk application?

Is this for ME or SE? What version? Version 5.0 has aroject Documentor for it which will show where that address is being used.

I take it that the target PLC is a SLC or Micrologix? If the RSS file is on your drive then go to HMI Tags and click on 'Tags'. Now go to Edit - Other Databases.

Now, using the help file, look up 'other databases' and follow the instructions. You will be able to bring in tags from the RSS file. Make sure to note the max 500 at one import limit under 'Tips' in the help file.

To use the imported tags when assigning to a connection use the 'tag' button then on the left side slect you top name, right click and 'Refresh All Folders'. Your tags should now show up.

the PlC is a micrologix. Factory talk View studio machine edition.

I really appreciate your help... I was not real experienced with Panelbuilder 32. I am pretty much lost with this factory talk.

I read the help that came up just as you said

So, if I import these tags from the .rss file into a new folder which I create, it will not have any negative effect on the existing .apa project or when I want to down load it back into the Panel view, will it?

I don't want to screw anything up.... I just want to try to find an element that appears in the lader logic in the .apa.

Normally, if I was going to mess with something, I would save it under a different name or something before I messed with it, but I don't even see how to do that.
thanks again

Last edited:
the PlC is a micrologix. Factory talk View studio machine edition.

I really appreciate your help... I was not real experienced with Panelbuilder 32. I am pretty much lost with this factory talk.

I read the help that came up just as you said

So, if I import these tags from the .rss file into a new folder which I create, it will not have any negative effect on the existing .apa project or when I want to down load it back into the Panel view, will it?

I don't want to screw anything up.... I just want to try to find an element that appears in the lader logic in the .apa.

Normally, if I was going to mess with something, I would save it under a different name or something before I messed with it, but I don't even see how to do that.
thanks again
This tag could look like below:
{::[SLC]N7:30}
[SLC] could be any name which is your target processor.

This tag could look like below:
{::[SLC]N7:30}
[SLC] could be any name which is your target processor.

Something I have found: {::[comms]N7:30}.

would that make any sense?

I don't think I'm getting this. Maybe I'm not explaining it right... I have an element in a ladder logic program... say N7:30 that is being varied by something and I can't find what that would be. I believe I have found every occurrence of it in the ladder logic.

I believe it's value is being changed in the panel view, but I don't know where or how... I don't know how to find it in the Panelview if it exists, or where it is.

I have the .apa file, the .rss file, RsLogix 500, and I have Factory Talk View Studio ME

Is there the equivalent of a "find all" in Factory talk?

Can I save the project as something else before I mess with it? How?

I downloaded two user manuals ,which I am consulting, but they are pretty big, and full of stuff that is unfamiliar to me. I'm trying to learn the software while I'm trying to fix a problem.

thanks

Last edited:
Something I have found: {::[comms]N7:30}.

would that make any sense?

I don't think I'm getting this. Maybe I'm not explaining it right... I have an element in a ladder logic program... say N7:30 that is being varied by something and I can't find what that would be. I believe I have found every occurrence of it in the ladder logic.

I believe it's value is being changed in the panel view, but I don't know where or how... I don't know how to find it in the Panelview if it exists, or where it is.

I have the .apa file and I have Factory Talk View Studio ME
Is there the equivalent of a "find all" in Factory talk?

Can I save the project as something else before I mess with it? How?

I downloaded two user manuals , but they are pretty big. I'm trying to learn the software while I'm trying to fix a problem.

thanks
Sounds ok to me
The format is {::[PLC]N7:30}
In your case they named the PLC [comms]
You can assign any name to the PLC.
You're on the right track.
The tag you've been looking for is {::[comms]N7:30}

I am also new to factorytalk. What I did not to long ago to find where some data was being written to/from is:
Export the tag database to CVS format. Open it up in Excel and about the 300 column over (OK maybe 30th), you will see info about tags and what PLC (if more then 1)and other good info. It really helped me out.

George

Are you trying to find where the tag is used in the graphics in your application?

Are you trying to find where the tag is used in the graphics in your application?

I suppose that's a pretty good description.

In the ladder logic (the.rss file) there is an integer (just say it's N7:40). It is being varied by something, I can see its' value change when I'm online, and I can't find what is changing it. It is changing when it should not.

I think I have accounted for every ocurrence of N7:40 in the ladder logic, and none of them are doing it, so I want to try to find it in the Panelview application.

Surely, I don't have to go through every button and look at it's "connection" . Isn't there some way of seeing all the variables used in the Panelview? Isn't there a "find all" search or something equivalent?

I don't know how to explain it any better than that.

thanks

If you have the original file the application was made from you could browse the tags and find it?

Also it could be part of an PID which would look funny just viewing the ladder

It could be part of a "move"

You should be able to do a find all on the integer while online and back trace to the root of the problem?

Clint

Can you post your .rss and the .apa and tell us what you are looking for and maybe we can help you solve this.

Can you post your .rss and the .apa and tell us what you are looking for and maybe we can help you solve this.

You are really swell to offer, but I don't think I want to do that.

I hope you will read this post even though it is kinda long.

It aggravates me that I don't even know the correct terminology.

My question is this: In a general way, how would you go about finding something in Factory talk?

In the ladder logic you have elements... inputs, outputs, what I would call( probably incorrectly ) internal relays, etc.

These elements have addresses that identify the slot and terminal, or the variable I:2/3 O:4/6 N7:30....

In RsLogix 500 I can find these elements by doing a search: Find All I:2/3 .

And I will get a list of all I:/2/3, and where they are in ladder logic

I know I'm not telling you folks anything... I'm just trying to explain where I'm coming from...

In more recent years, you can give these elements names... Tags.

Instead of I:2/3 You can call it "ConveyorStartButton".

Perhaps I am wrong, but in RsLogix5000 I don't think you can even find them by their address anymore, but must use their tag. If I'm wrong I'd sure appreciate someone straightening me out, because I'd like to be able to search by address.

But that is beside the point.

My perspective is always from the troubleshooting end or modifying end of something that someone else did... never from the creation end. I need to find why outputs don't work as intended, or perhaps make them work a little differently.

When something doesn't work as expected, you have to start at the output and trace back what controls and modifies it.

That will often lead you to integers which are changed by mov instructions or something else.

Hang on. I'm almost to the point.

When It leads you back to the program that is in the Panelview1000, and you have to use Factory Talk,(about which I know little or nothing) how do you find these elements... the integers or what ever... ESPECIALLY when you think they may not be assigned correctly. Remember, this started because something did not work as it was supposed to.

In a general way, how would you go about finding something using Factory talk? If I suspect N7:30, how do I find everywhere it may be affected in the Panelview program?
How many times does it appear in the Panelview program?

The simplest answer, in RSView ME prior to version 5.0, is that there is no way. There is no cross reference, there is no listing, there is no print-out, there is nothing.

So, to do this manually, firstly, look to see (perhaps by exporting the tag database if used, use the "Tag Import/Export Utility" to get it to a .CSV, and search it for N7:30) if your register is assigned to a tag.

If it's assigned to a tag, make a note of the tag name.

Now, open up every screen (one at a time), do a CTRL-A (Select all), then CTRL-G (Group). Right click, select "Tag Substitution", and read through the (fixed size small scrolly) list to try and find either your N7:30, or the Tag Database name that might refer to it.

If you can find it on a display, you need to start going down to sections to see where it is, Ungroup the big group, and start grouping things half at a time. Eventually you may be able to find the object(s) that refer to your tag.

If you can't find it in the displays, look in Global Connections, Macro's, and possibly in Paramater files.

FTView ME really is an extrememly unfriendly beast to work with, and hasn't been "Ready for Prime Time" since it's debut (in my opinion). (I say this having dozens of PVPlus panels around, but just now finally switching away to something that appears much better for evaluation).

---------------------------------------------

If you are at FTView ME Rev 5 or above, you can see Knowledgebase Answer ID 46928 for the download of the stand-alone project documenter.

Last edited: