You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old October 10th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #1
cefisher15
United States

PLC-5/250 Compute Expression

I've got a print-out of old code (PLC-5/250) that I am trying to decipher. I am hung up on an expression in one of the compute blocks. The block parameters are as follows:

COMPUTE
Dest: NUMST
Expression: I:013{07..00}+(I:013/16<<8)

Can anyone please help me understand what this expression is saying? I can take a picture of the rung if it will help, but that is all of the info from the block.
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #2
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefisher15 View Post
I've got a print-out of old code (PLC-5/250) that I am trying to decipher. I am hung up on an expression in one of the compute blocks. The block parameters are as follows:

COMPUTE
Dest: NUMST
Expression: I:013{07..00}+(I:013/16<<8)

Can anyone please help me understand what this expression is saying? I can take a picture of the rung if it will help, but that is all of the info from the block.
I think I have deciphered it, and to be fair it looks a strange one, but to be absolutely sure can you show the bit patterns of I:013 and NUMST after the compute has been executed.
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk
tel: 07506 73 9999
nil illegitimi carborundem

Last edited by daba; October 10th, 2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old October 10th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #3
JaxGTO
United States

I remember the << is a bit shift left
Old October 11th, 2017, 10:03 AM   #4
cefisher15
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daba View Post
I think I have deciphered it, and to be fair it looks a strange one, but to be absolutely sure can you show the bit patterns of I:013 and NUMST after the compute has been executed.
daba, Unfortunately all I have access to is a PDF file of the code. Attached is an image of the input rung and the compute block. I013 has 16 bits, as far as I can tell, this compute block is concerned with bits 0-7 and 16. It looks like NUMST is an int.

I'll dig through my PDF to see if there's any variable maps, but I seem to have lost access rights to it, so it might take a while... if its not one thing, its another, am I right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171011_075023421.jpg (17.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171011_075454443.jpg (26.1 KB, 14 views)
Old October 12th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #5
daba
United Kingdom

Quote:
daba, Unfortunately all I have access to is a PDF file of the code. Attached is an image of the input rung and the compute block. I013 has 16 bits, as far as I can tell, this compute block is concerned with bits 0-7 and 16. It looks like NUMST is an int.

I'll dig through my PDF to see if there's any variable maps, but I seem to have lost access rights to it, so it might take a while... if its not one thing, its another, am I right?
Working through it, bit by bit....

I:013{07..00} extracts the low 8 bits of the data in I:013, this seems to make sense going by the handwritten notes on the first picture - "Data"

I:013/16 will result in the data being "shifted" towards bit 0, by 4 bits (/2 will shift by one bit, /4 by 2, /8 by 3, and /16 by 5 bits). Then the <<8 will shift the above 8 bits to the left, putting what was labelled as "Index" into the upper 4 bits, bits 17..14, but it also duplicates the upper 4 bits of "Data" into bits 13..12, zeroes fill the lower 8 bits of this partial result.

After adding the partial results together, you get....

bits 17..14 = "Index"
bits 13..10 = upper 4 bits of "Data"
bits 07..04 = upper 4 bits of "Data"
bits 03..00 = lower 4 bits of "Data"

The picture shows the individual operations within the compute. You should look at this when you look at any other operations performed on CCO_NUMST
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-10-12_082430.jpg (68.3 KB, 38 views)
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk

Last edited by daba; October 12th, 2017 at 02:37 AM.
Old October 12th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #6
daba
United Kingdom

I've just had the thought that the "/" in I:013/16 might be a bit address, not a "divide by".

It's been such a long since I looked at any PLC5/250 code that I can't remember... "Divide by" might be "|" (pipe).

PLC5/250 (Pyramid Integrator) was programmed using the very old 6200 software, I don't know if it ever made it into RSLogix5.

Anyway, if it is a bit designation, it looks like the latter part of the compute "pulls" bits 06..00 up to bits 16..10

Or, the "<<" bit shift might be circular within the destination, so it might be putting bit 16 only into bit 6 location

See if those ideas make any sense.....
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk

Last edited by daba; October 12th, 2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:33 AM   #7
cefisher15
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daba View Post
I've just had the thought that the "/" in I:013/16 might be a bit address, not a "divide by".

It's been such a long since I looked at any PLC5/250 code that I can't remember... "Divide by" might be "|" (pipe).

PLC5/250 (Pyramid Integrator) was programmed using the very old 6200 software, I don't know if it ever made it into RSLogix5.

Anyway, if it is a bit designation, it looks like the latter part of the compute "pulls" bits 06..00 up to bits 16..10

Or, the "<<" bit shift might be circular within the destination, so it might be putting bit 16 only into bit 6 location

See if those ideas make any sense.....
Daba,

Thank you for your help! Looking at the other rungs of code, I agree that the"/" is a bit address. Taking into consideration your remarks, and what I know about the expected values of NUMST, I think the expression is basically concatenating bit 16 with bits 0-7 to make a 9-bit binary representation of a number, then storing the decimal equivalent in NUMST (see attached).
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (7.9 KB, 20 views)
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #8
daba
United Kingdom

Quote:
Daba,

Thank you for your help! Looking at the other rungs of code, I agree that the"/" is a bit address. Taking into consideration your remarks, and what I know about the expected values of NUMST, I think the expression is basically concatenating bit 16 with bits 0-7 to make a 9-bit binary representation of a number, then storing the decimal equivalent in NUMST (see attached).
Your attached image is what I was working towards with bit 16 being "rotated" left by 8 bits, but I think that it would end up in bit 6, not bit 10. In a 16-bit integer, with the bits octally addressed, bit 6 and 16 are 8 bits apart, whichever way you shift.

Perhaps the number constraints mean that it is creating a 7-bit number, with bit 6 being the sign bit ??? EDIT : I meant 7, not 9

Whatever way you look at it, it's a rare piece of programming, I'm sure there would be a better way to do, IF we could understand what it is trying to achieve !!
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk

Last edited by daba; October 12th, 2017 at 12:39 PM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum