PanelView + 1250 Setting IP to PLC Manualy

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was wondering if there is a way to set a new path to the PLC manually in the PV+? They had me change the IP of the PLC's and of course the HMI is not reading data.

I uploaded the .mer from the PanelView but it was set to not let me convert it to a development file. They gave me a folder that I am pretty sure goes to this PV but it has a .sed file in the folder (see attached). No .med or .apa file. Does that make any sense to any of you? I thought a .sed file was for a SE project. Can a PV+ run a SE project?? Any ideas of how I can proceed would be greatly appreciated!!

SER_Snap.PNG

I seem to recall that there is a configuration menu that will display the shortcut. I have not tried to edit it from the HMI, but I suppose you could trawl through all the available menus and see.

Yes, you can. I can't remember the exact menu structure, but somewhere in the networks and communications section of the terminal settings, you can view and edit the RSLinx Enterprise configuration, which will include the shortcut to your PLC.

The only thing you have to be aware of is that your PVP might be set to overwrite it's existing communications setup with the one from the .mer file each time it runs, so you will have to deselect that option as well.

On thing I forgot to mention was that we also upgraded the processor from a L32E to a L30ER along with the IP change. I got the path changed but I sill don't get any communication. I am thinking that is the reason. I am going to put the L32e back in with the new IP and see if that works.

The path for a L32E and a L30ER are slightly different. The L32E looks similar to the ControlLogix platform where you browse to the Ethernet Module, through the backplane then to the controller (even though it's just one module). The L30ER doesn't make that connection through the backplane.

Well it turned out that the PV was actually reading the data from a ML1100 that was in the panel. The ML would get the data from the L32e via messages and then serve that up to the PV+. I have no idea why they did that but it is the way it was done.
Changed the IP in the RsLinx path in the PV and now it works. Thanks for the help!!

Huh, that seems...unusual...did that MicroLogix have any other purpose in life? Or just a relay to the PV?

It is used to turn on some stack lights. I asked them why they didn't just use some Point I/O but no one really knows. I think this was a integrator supplied solution but it has never really worked so I am here to try and make it work. The PV and ML will go away soon as they get everything moved to their DCS (the reason for the IP change). I just need to make it work until the change over is done.

I am constantly surprised by what I see out in the field. I don't consider myself an expert but what I see other companies pass off as "good ideas" is starting to make me wonder:)