You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 11th, 2018, 09:49 AM   #1
kolyur
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

AB license dongle w/ multiple licenses of RSLogix 500

We have a dozen or so Maintenance technicians who have their own laptops and need access to RSLogix 500 (Starter). Some of them use it very infrequently, so I'm looking at getting the 9509-USB-DONG2 dongle to allow some of them to share the same license. (Thanks to Geospark for his detailed posts about how this all works.) There may be times when multiple dongle users need to run the software simultaneously, so I'd like to have more than one dongle available--possibly up to four, each with its own license. My question is, would RSLogix run seamlessly with any of the four dongles inserted? I ask because I know that when you install RSLogix you have to enter the serial number, but now I would have multiple serial numbers to choose from and the software S/N wouldn't necessarily match that of the license on the inserted dongle. Is this doable?
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Dravik
United States

We don't use the dongles, but we have the licenses running on the FT Activation Server on the network.

When we install RS5000 for example, we use the serial number for one of the licenses and it seems to work just fine even if it checks out a different license/serial(assuming the same activation 'level').

I can't say for sure, but I don't see why it would work differently for the dongle.
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Helliana
United States

The serial number you enter when you install the software means nothing. You can literally enter any 10 digit number and it will install. The serial number in the licensing server is what determines if its licensed or not.
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:20 PM   #4
Timbert
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolyur View Post
There may be times when multiple dongle users need to run the software simultaneously, so I'd like to have more than one dongle available--possibly up to four, each with its own license. My question is, would RSLogix run seamlessly with any of the four dongles inserted? ... Is this doable?
Absolutely.

The key is when you set them up you need to copy all the *.LIC files to the proper activations folder on each computer (default is C:\Users\Public\Documents\Rockwell Automation\Activations).

I have the older dongle style which didn't have memory on it. The newer DONG2 has memory and I believe you can keep the license file there. Never tried it myself. See KB505357
Old July 12th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #5
kolyur
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Thanks to all, I have ordered the dongles. We'll see how it goes.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum