PLC elevator (lost in translation) :-P

voodoo88

Hi Guys
Im stuck programming my doors and delay function (on button press, while in operation) and i have no clue as to solve it..
im using logo 12/24 simens 2 seperate PLC's - one to run motor func, emg stop etc other is running lights, guidance etc and is the one im stuck in.
friendly pointers with a mack truck needed:p:wish:

doors (simulation) will be run by 3/2 valves, a double actuating cylinder and 2 roller contacts to indicate open / closed

PM:

ladder1.jpg ladder2.png

Attachments

• Elevator styring.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 38
  • elevator.zip
    68.9 KB · Views: 44
First, you haven't told us how you expect it to work. Without those kinds of definitions, there is no way to program it. The very first part of any automation project is to define your system - how does it start, how does it stop, how does the operator interact with it, how are alarms/faults detected and how are they dealt with, etc., etc., etc. Until you have those defined in such a way that you can communicate them clearly, you don't stand a chance of successfully completing your homework..err... program.

Then think about what you've already learned in class. You will rarely get an assignment for something that hasn't already been covered.

First, you haven't told us how you expect it to work. Without those kinds of definitions, there is no way to program it. The very first part of any automation project is to define your system - how does it start, how does it stop, how does the operator interact with it, how are alarms/faults detected and how are they dealt with, etc., etc., etc. Until you have those defined in such a way that you can communicate them clearly, you don't stand a chance of successfully completing your homework..err... program.

Then think about what you've already learned in class. You will rarely get an assignment for something that hasn't already been covered.

I've attached the hardwiring in the zip files and what i have in logo sofar (even screenshot the ladder, so it was easy to view). but to elaborate, 2 plc's one will run up/down dc motor, thermo relay, power, stop -dc motor

other will run guidance on the cart: Q1 to second plc (motor down)
Q2 to second plc (motor up)
Q3 magnetic valve
Q4 magnetic valve
Q5 call/push to first
Q6 call/push to second
Q7 call push to third

I1 PB cart 1
I2 PB cart 2
I3 PB cart 3
I4 PB floor 1
I5 PB floor 2
I6 PB floor 3
I7 Ferro/ magnetic sensor 1
I8 ferro magnetic sensor 2
I9 ferro /magnetic sensor 3

stop em stop etc will be run on plc 1 so to cut it short.. no alarms.
what we have been taught sofar involves only back and forth motion of a motor and that isnt terrible helpful solving this project and since im the only 1 in class doing, this kind of project - im kindda stuck on google being my friend :p

I assume that this is a passenger (human) 3-floor elevator?

You should use the divide-and-conquer method: Divide the functions into about 6 subroutines, or steps. Program each step as if it were a separate program but having common addresses and symbols with the other routines. Then tie all steps together with Jump-to-Subroutine instructions, or by using step or stage relays.

Dividing into manageable chunks allows you to think about how each part works while not having to think about the other steps.

Here is one way to divide the parts:

1. Initialization where you look at the 1st PLC scan and set all parameters that need to be set to place the elevator at Home Position (usually at the first floor).

2. Look for Floor Requests. Look at the Car and Corridor pushbuttons to detect requests, and for each one, latch on a relay that will stay on until that request is filled.

3. Do Next Request, or Wait. If there is a floor request, start the process to move the elevator. Set the internal Going Up or Going Down relay. If there are no requests, wait for one.

4. Close Door, and Move. Activate the Close Door motor until the Door Closed Limit Switch is ON. Then if Going Up is ON, activate the UP motor. If Going Down is ON, activate the DOWN motor.

5. Track Car Movement. If you are using an encoder or simulated encoder, then when the Car is at the next requested floor, call the Stop and Open Door routine. If you only have car position limit switches (see last paragraph below), then your job will be harder, because you will need to anticipate each stop so that the car will coast down or brake to stop at the exact floor position.

6. Stop and Open Door. When at the next requested floor, Stop the car movement, then activate the Open Door motor until the Door Open Limit Switch is ON.

TIPS: You need to first do a better job of definining your Q outputs. "Q3 magnetic valve is worthless to a programmer. It is best to put a title that describes WHAT the valve DOES, instead of what it is physically. I think you should use something like "Q3 Door Open Valve" and "Q4 Door Close Valve".

Q5, Q6, and Q7 are not going to help you much. You are assuming that you can use an output to drive the Motor UP or Motor DOWN to a set position. Maybe if you add a timer set to run the DC motor for the exact time to go to each floor, that might work. But how to you then get it back to the 1st floor from Floor 2 or 3? How do you go from Floor 2 to Floor 3? How do you go from Floor 3 and stop at Floor 2? It seems your elevator is going to be very limited if you use these Q5, Q6, and Q7 Outputs.

It would probably work better if you deleted Q5 to Q7, you added 3 extra Car Position magnetic sensor Inputs. Then you could have a sensor at the top and bottom of each floor position. Then as the car goes up, first the top of the car will trigger 2nd Floor Bottom Sensor. Knowing that the car is arriving at Floor 2, you could then start a timer that stops the car so that its top will trip the 2nd Floor Top Sensor. Repeat for all 3 floors, and you then have a way to stop the car at each floor. If this is not accurate enough, you could even develop 2 speeds, one with the motor on constantly until the 1st sensor is triggered, then switch to a slower "jog speed" where you use a timer to jog the motor until the car triggers the 2nd floor sensor on each floor. These sensor functions will "switch", depending on whether the Going Up or Going Down relay is ON. You can see that it is important to set up the internal Going UP and Going Down relays.

Last edited:
For real elevator...EN81-1 "Electrical Elevators" - Lot of hardwired interlocks, lot of reqierements, Even Q5, Q6 and Q7 re needed, because the passenger should be informed whether the command is accepted(illumination of the button)

Q5-7 i should have elaborated was for buttom lights - the ladder routine i have now is already distinguising floors ..in and outputs: since 12/24 logo is limited in in/outputs -im proud so say i already used all inputs and only have a single output left..but yes step or relay is most likely my way forth - ty for that.

For real elevator...EN81-1 "Electrical Elevators" - Lot of hardwired interlocks, lot of reqierements,...
Yes, you are not kidding. Here is a simulator for a real elevator - Otis 1956 model, using only switches, relays, timers, and contactors. The Boolean equations in the spreadsheet were copied by me from the actual 1956 wiring diagram.

Last edited:
a 3/2 valve uses only one output
you can combine the cart buttons with the floor buttons.
if a button pressed, keep button light on, close door, if button > position motor up.
if button < position move motor down
if button=position motor stop, open door, release buttonlight

if a button pressed, keep button light on, close door,
if button > position motor up.
What if the elevator is enroute, moving from 1 to 2, designed elevator stop at 2 and then keep going on up to 3, only then reversing and going to 1 (as a properly designed elvator should)?

What if the elevator is enroute, moving from 3 to 2, and then both "1" and "3" buttons are pressed? Will your short-cut elevator stop at 2 and then keep going down to 1, only then reversing and going to 3 (as a properly designed elvator should)?

Elevators usually appear to be easier to design that they really are.

Last edited:
a 3/2 valve uses only one output
you can combine the cart buttons with the floor buttons.
if a button pressed, keep button light on, close door, if button > position motor up.

thx for that, i joined inside and outside call/desired floor and saved a few input slots
I created and ended the project to an a+ grade. however im still not satisfied with my routines and this puzzles me, so gonna create IE 848 diagram and add functions etc..

For real elevator...EN81-1 "Electrical Elevators" - Lot of hardwired interlocks, lot of reqierements, Even Q5, Q6 and Q7 re needed, because the passenger should be informed whether the command is accepted(illumination of the button)

thx for that tip...

please give us the project so we can give the teacher comment if he is to easy on you.
congratulations, and yes 90% of the students make this elevator, all different.

i send them on skype Paul, drawings are made in pcscematic
if you dont have pcscematic i have the freebie schoolversion you can add - if youre interested