I dare not press this button

Came across a Chinese made (copy) pillow making machine today.
I was testing inputs and came across this button......
I thought I wonder what this does.

aayz4w.jpg

It's likely the literal translation of "vacuum pump" into Chinese, then the Chinese term back into English. I once worked on a machine from Germany that removed the casings from sausages for restaurants using them in sauces and fillings. The German machine mfr used the term "wiener" for the sausages, so the part of the process where the casing was pulled off with rollers after being split was translated as the "Wiener Skin Puller" and there was a selector switch that enabled it. We had to engrave those nameplates over and over again, they kept disappearing until we just changed it to "Casing Remover"

We had Japanese machine that came to us with an engraved label for the "TOTAL COUNTER" corrupted to "TORTAL C*NTER".

It took quite a while for that one to disappear, oddly enough.

There are some areas in our small country that have names that are somewhat unusual albeit not indecent in our own speech. In English however, some of these names are not normally used in a corporate environment. Now this was a multinational firm mind you, the mail servers were based in either the UK or the US. I have had among others a coworker whose first name was Arse and a client with last name The C ock (*). I just could not write my own colleague or client a normal email starting "Dear <firstname>" or "Dear mr <lastname>". Yes I tried, but received in response an automated mail from the corporate mail server stating that the mail had not been sent to the intended recipient as its' content contained highly inappropriate language, copies of my original email had been forwarded to my manager and my director, further disciplinary measures were to follow 🍺

(*) funny detail: same goes here, I had to insert a space to get this message to post as intended

I retrofitted controls to a system that previously required an operator to select a device (out of a hundred) on screen, then send somebody into the workcell to hold down a steel mounting plate to a rubber suction cup, then click the HMI object to apply vacuum to hold that mounting plate.

The new controls used an existing sensor so that you could go into the workcell, press down on the mounting plate, and the system would automatically apply vacuum to the appropriate device.

"Automatic Calibration Fixture Vacuum Application" is an unwieldy label, but I refuse to change it to the colloquial term that the operators use: "hey, turn on Auto-Suck !".