Kinetix 5500 safe limit speed

mp91

Hi all

I have a new 5500 which operates a roller in a fully enclosed booth. The booth has doors that are linked back to our safety PLC to prevent access to the equipment while in an unsafe state.

My aim is to have my PLC (1769-l30erms) read a door status tag in it's safety routine and set the maximum speed of the drive so that when the door is open it can only rotate slowly. I remember hearing this called safe limit speed or something like that but can't find any documentation on how to do it and it's limitations.

Is it just as simple as me assigning a max speed in the safety routine or am i missing a configuration/instruction/aoi somewhere?

Safe Limited Speed (SLS) is a safety function, but not available on the 55xx range only the 6xxx or 57xx range. The 55xx only has STO

It's not a 5 minute job to implement as it will require a separate risk assemsment and for you to change your drive.

It is like janner_10 said proper SLS is not supported by Kinetix 5500.

Looking onto Kietix 5700 there is a built in safety function "SLS" and what it is doing is monitoring the speed. If the speed is exceeded it sets a bit. That bit can now be passed to a standard program and be used to change the speed (MCD) instruction or stop the motion. There is an example in manual how it can be used.

Similar can easily be achieved in 5500 series. It will not be consider as safety however although the outcome is the same. To achieve the SIL level you would probably have to upgrade to 6500 or 5700 series.

It is down to your application requirements and risk assessment