Factorytalk ME alarms lost

bdoutney

Lifetime Supporting Member
Factorytalk ME 8.2
PV+ 600

Ive lost 128 alarm message entries. Its my own fault, I foolishly thought clicking the floppy disk Icon in the toolbar meant save. Anyway I have another ME project that is identical except for some description in the alarm messages and trigger. For example I am using a bit type trigger {::[9_unit]B3:4} for a unit with 16 alarm messages on values 1-15 and the only difference is the one I want to copy says unit 9 and the new one needs to say unit 25 in the messages field of the alarm setup. Times 8. In SE I would copy a whole screen full of objects over to another one and use tag substitution to do things like this but that is not available in alarm setup. Does anyone know of a way to do this that doesn't involve retyping everything?

Its been a while since I have used FT ME but I think you can do this in excel. Copy the alarms and paste into excel do a find and replace a paste back into ME.
HTH

export/import

Another option may be to export the alarm setup from unit 9 (right-click on Alarm Setup), then edit the .xml file with a text editor to search and replace 9_unit with 25_unit (or whatever is appropriate), and then import the edited xml.

RA tech support also said to do that with the notepad XML editor. But when I tried to use the find and replace function it would only find and only one at a time. Is that normal that you have to go to every instance of 9 and make it a 25?

Another option may be to export the alarm setup from unit 9 (right-click on Alarm Setup), then edit the .xml file with a text editor to search and replace 9_unit with 25_unit (or whatever is appropriate), and then import the edited xml.

+1 on this option. When you go to the xml alarm file right click and select open with. Then choose Notepad. Search and Replace. Then File save as and rename then import.

Just another fact the message file in FTVME is a spread sheet so you can copy it and paste in excel. Make modifications to messages then copy and paste back in. To copy back to message file delete all messages except the unassigned. Then right click on unassigned and paste.

I use this method to build new messages after triggers are made. It's just easier to use excel features to make the message file.