Kinetix 6500 - Inhibit M05 Fault

alive15

Good afternoon to all,

I have a 1756-EN2TR PLC using studio 5000, along with a Kinetix 6500 (2094-EN02D-M01-S0) drive. This drive controls my infeed of a grinding wheel. When I run at our normal production speed, the drive faults out and the machine gets thrown into e-stop due to Inhibit M05 fault. The manual says "check safety input wiring and check safety devices". Our safety devices are good and wiring looks good also.

I only get this fault when I run at normal production speed, but now that I have slowed the speed down, it is running parts without faulting out. Does this point to an issue with my drive? What else can I check to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Good afternoon to all,

I have a 1756-EN2TR PLC using studio 5000, along with a Kinetix 6500 (2094-EN02D-M01-S0) drive. This drive controls my infeed of a grinding wheel. When I run at our normal production speed, the drive faults out and the machine gets thrown into e-stop due to Inhibit M05 fault. The manual says "check safety input wiring and check safety devices". Our safety devices are good and wiring looks good also.

I only get this fault when I run at normal production speed, but now that I have slowed the speed down, it is running parts without faulting out. Does this point to an issue with my drive? What else can I check to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Hi alive15,
From the Kinetix 6500 reference (pg 205, table 88) that fault refers to a "motor feedback battery loss":

The battery voltage on a battery-backed
motor encoder is low enough such that
absolute position is no longer available

Are you sure that this is a safety circuit issue?

Last edited:
Yes I believe so. It says Inhibit before the M05. The regular M05 is for the battery loss. But how come this does not pop up when running at a slower speed?

My mistake, I see how they reused the "M##" codes in different contexts, now.

How is your STO configured? Are you pulsing the 24vdc going to S1 & S2? (ie from safety output card)? There must be something either in the machine code that drops out at higher speeds, or possibly higher speeds create a vibration that causes a momentary loss of S1 or S2 signal? Have you tested for signal while servo in the inhibit state? If it is an intermittent issue, you may need a wavemeter or scope to catch the problem.

We have a lot of swarf around the power and feedback cables of the motor. After cleaning all that up, the problem went away, and we can run at full speed. I'm unsure how this would cause an issue if the swarf is outside the cable and just surrounding it?

Yeah, I would expect that kind of condition to manifest as feedback noise faults, and the like. Is the STO circuitry all contained in the same panel with the drive, or was that wiring bundled in the same pipe with power and feedback cables?