90-30 Power Supply Burned Up (Twice)

dancoate

I have a PLC with a IC693PWR331 24V High Capacity 30W Power Supply. It burned a hole in the side of the power supply when they switched from ship to shore power. I replaced it and a couple of weeks later, it did the same thing. It is fed from a 24V Battery Bank, so I can't imagine it being a power source issue. Thoughts?

So when they transfer to shore power where does the circuit following the power get its energy, is it still from this same supply or is there another? So could something be feeding the output of this supply.

To get something to burn a hole there has to be a pretty large current, where is that current coming from?

Looking at the spec sheet it mentions overcurrent protection for the 5V output but doesn't mention the 24V output.

It’s weird, the 24 VDC supply feeding the plc is a set of batteries. That remains the same, the only thing that changes is the source that feeds the batteries. Could it be back-feeding through one of the I/O modules? We do have a 120VAC output module.

You could do with opening one of the burnt modules and seeing if you can tell whether it is on the supply or output side. My guess would be to check and log the voltage of the shore supply, looking for large overvoltages. I think the spec sheet said it was OK up to 30V d.c., the typical voltage used to charge 24V batteries would be over 29V so you are getting close to the top end.

Thanks, I will check that out tomorrow when I get on the ship. These are the pictures the Chief Engineer sent me.
view
view
view

I’m assuming that the battery bank has some sort of float charger on it when hooked to shore power? It seems that your variable is the house vs shore power switch. Measure the input voltage to the ps on both house and shore power and see what you get.

As others have said you need to confirm which side of the supply this occurred on.

One tidbit I forgot to mention is there is another system exactly like this one for the STBD side that has no problems at all. Kinda leads me to believe it would have to be on the output side.

Ok with that ill had to my post.... Read both the input and output side on both the house and shore power and see what you get. Then take another step and read the values on the side that is functioning fine and compare.