Power Supply Grounding

Tim Ganz

I have Rhino 120 to 24 dc power supply and it has 2 Positive and 2 negative terminals on the DC side but no ground terminal. Should I connect one of the negative connections on the power supply to a ground terminal block to be able to check the 24 volts to ground all along the machine? Power supply part # is PSL-24-030

The ideal is that you create your 0V line by connecting it to a single point to ground and that will be the common for the power source(s) and everything it supplies.

Even in your main cabinet, since it is grounded, you can use a distribution bare bar.

I generally don't ground the low side of my DC power supplies, but let them "float". Some power supplies include a ground for the AC input side, but that doesn't ground the output. I have worked in many panels where the designer does ground the low side of a DC supply and that can be convenient but also allow for ground currents or noise to affect sensitive analog signals supplied by that DC source.

I "always" (or almost always) ground my DC-. I have seen this fix noise issues, and I have never seen it cause noise issues.

Not saying it is right/wrong/ whatever just what I have been doing since I ran into a bit noise issue with a panel and a bunch of analog IO. The low voltage (mv output) transducers were super noisy until I grounded the DC-.

Here is a link to an article at Control Automation about the pluses and minuses of earthing a DC supply. I never earth the output of a switchmode at all. I do earth batteries though and the negative of the charger but then go through a switchmode and do not eartj the secondary.

The biggest problem with not grounding is that you 'think' you have a floating system, but without some type of sensing system, you don't know. It might be floating when you install it, but you have no idea what happens after that. I read a similar article to the above written by a power supply manufacturer, he decided that the solution was to have two earths, one main one and one for the power supply, I nearly choked on my coffee.

I generally don't ground the low side of my DC power supplies, but let them "float". Some power supplies include a ground for the AC input side, but that doesn't ground the output. I have worked in many panels where the designer does ground the low side of a DC supply and that can be convenient but also allow for ground currents or noise to affect sensitive analog signals supplied by that DC source.

I used floating supplies too, until a compliance test exam on 90s said that "all supplies must have a ground reference"

Nor did it say that it had to be referenced to ground, it even seems that it could be connected to a phase of the power supply but in no case can it be left floating.

And it is logical since on something floating nothing can prevent it from reaching a very high voltage with respect to ground, even more so next to cables with high dv/dt such as the output of a VFD that can generate strong inductions.

From then I began to use a bare commons bar in the main electrical cabinet, isolated from the mounting plate but connected to a single point to ground, and you save many DIN guide terminals.

I "always" (or almost always) ground my DC-. I have seen this fix noise issues, and I have never seen it cause noise issues.

Not saying it is right/wrong/ whatever just what I have been doing since I ran into a bit noise issue with a panel and a bunch of analog IO. The low voltage (mv output) transducers were super noisy until I grounded the DC-.
That's been my experience as well. Grounding the 0 VDC side of the power supply cleans up noise issues on analog IO far more often than it causes them. If you are using 24 VDC discrete IO, a floating system is difficult to troubleshoot in the field where you may not always have access to the 0 VDC common.

If it's my design, ground the DC common always. I've commissioned many a system without grounded DC supplies also, but as noted, it's a pain to troubleshoot. I've never encountered noise issues on grounded supplies.

If it's my design, ground the DC common always. I've commissioned many a system without grounded DC supplies also, but as noted, it's a pain to troubleshoot. I've never encountered noise issues on grounded supplies.
DC supplies and AC supplies via transformer too, all can share the same common grounded at a low resistance central point.

You get a robust system against noise, much better than using the neutral of the electrical installation.
In new installations in Europe, the usual thing is that the three-phase power supply no longer has a neutral cable.