s7-1200 to s7-1500 migration

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

I have a s7-1200 controller project. A customer want's s7-1500.
In my mind if will be as simple as changing the hardware and just go.
I use hardware configuration control, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP, and only ladder programming. Also an Basic HMI
Are there any pitfals?

/Tim

Hi rQx: I think there are a number of function blocks that are only supported by S7-1500 but not in S7-1200. But I would say that everything that is supported by the S7-1200 is supported by the S7-1500. So from function blocks support point of view you should be OK.
However, the only it would be possible to do a straigt-forward change as the one you mention is if all the IO is remote, like Profinet. If you have some local modules or Profibus, I think you would need to tweak the IO, but doable it should be.

Thanks!
Ok, so Modbus RTU blocks etc is straigh forward.
I see, the I/O would have to be rewired. But I use hardware configuration control and mapp all I/Os so that would also be pretty straight forward
/Tim

Hi,

I use hardware configuration control, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP, and only ladder programming. Also an Basic HMI
Are there any pitfals?

/Tim

I've never needed to do the migration myself, but as far as I know, 1500 supports all instructions of 1200. There are actually a few instructions where it seems like 1500 has duplicates (move_block and block_Move) where they have versions for both 300 & 1200 compatibility. It should largely work, but keep an eye on a few things.

I know that some of the system data types for things like communication instructions change between FW versions of 1500, so that might be something you need to watch out for when going from 1200 to 1500. It should still WORK, but you might need to rework something. If it compiles, you're probably fine.

I know that 1200 TOs work a little bit differently than 1500 TOs. 1200 feels more focused on stepper control, although it CAN do VFD/servo type stuff. 1500 is focused on VFD/Servo, and I think steppers require a separate card.

As AlfredoQuintero said, you'll obviously have to change any local IO modules, but that should be easy enough.

Hi,

Are there any pitfals?

/Tim

Modbus TCP and RTU blocksare same if TIA portal version is same.

For modbus RTU there is at least several different FW versions. If you have same modules, then they will work.
But if you cahnge also modules, then version must mach to hardware.

Have tested several times modbus with 1200 before loading to 1500 CPU.