Analog output

NKGPLCS

I need to program the analog output in PLC5, can anyone guide me on this?
I want to install the modulation valve to control the water flow.

Last edited:
TL;DR

I need to program the analog output in PLC5, can anyone guide me on this?
I want to install the modulation valve to control the water flow.

Is this closed-loop control? i.e.

• Do you want the PLC to take a setpoint for the desired water flow rate from the operator?
  • And should the PLC should then control the water flow rate to that setpoint?
  • Do you want to do that by having the PLC control the valve position by varying the PLC's analog output?
  • Do you have an indication (measure) of the water flow rate, for example some kind of flow meter?
So, if the answer to all of those questions is yes, then closed-loop control means you want the PLC to open the valve by some amount when the measured water flow rate is less than the setpoint, and close the valve by some amount when the measured flow rate is more than the setpoint.

Is that a reasonable re-definition and expansion of your question?

Also, it would help if you would provide some background about your level of skill, the level of skill of the people you work with whom you can ask for help, and what parts of closed-loop control (above) you understand and what parts you do not understand. For example, do you know how to connect the PLC analog output to the modulation valve?

Last edited:
TL;DR

Is this closed-loop control? i.e.

• Do you want the PLC to take a setpoint for the desired water flow rate from the operator? we already have water flow analog input in PLC.
  • And should the PLC should then control the water flow rate to that setpoint? Yes, the set point will determine.
  • Do you want to do that by having the PLC control the valve position by varying the PLC's analog output? Yes.
  • Do you have an indication (measure) of the water flow rate, for example some kind of flow meter? Yes we do have water flow input.
So, if the answer to all of those questions is yes, then closed-loop control means you want the PLC to open the valve by some amount when the measured water flow rate is less than the setpoint, and close the valve by some amount when the measured flow rate is more than the setpoint.

Is that a reasonable re-definition and expansion of your question?

Also, it would help if you would provide some background about your level of skill, the level of skill of the people you work with whom you can ask for help, and what parts of closed-loop control (above) you understand and what parts you do not understand. For example, do you know how to connect the PLC analog output to the modulation valve?
yes, I know how to connect.

You simply have not provided enough information. Either a language barrier, are you don't have very much experience or both. You need to identify:

Do you have an existing Analog Output Module with spare outputs available? If so:
What is the Module model
What slot is it in
What spare output channel are you using
What is the signal type (4-20ma, 0-10V, etc.) to your valve
Is your valve capable of accepting such a signal
What scaling do you plan to use 0-100% open, 0-X mm, 0-X inches, etc.?

If you do not have an existing module then where are you adding it?
Local Rack (1771 I/O)
Remote I/O (1794 flex, 1771, etc.)
What module are you adding, what slot?

Once these questions are answered, then at least we'll have a starting point

Up to post #9, and we still have no idea of the OP's "issues".

At least we know he's using a flowmeter, it's a start, so we can assume he wants "closed loop" control.

Other than that we are swimming against the tide ....

Which PLC-5 do you have? Older models use "N" files and newer versions can use the newer PID files. Scale you input and outputs for 0-4095 in the analog cards, and use the PID for HMI scaling.

You simply have not provided enough information. Either a language barrier, are you don't have very much experience or both. You need to identify: Yes, i don't have experience in Analog scaling.

Do you have an existing Analog Output Module with spare outputs available? If so:
What is the Module model- Yes 1771-OFE1
What slot is it in- Group 5
What spare output channel are you using- Analog output
What is the signal type (4-20ma, 0-10V, etc.) to your valve- 0-10V
Is your valve capable of accepting such a signal- Yes
What scaling do you plan to use 0-100% open, 0-X mm, 0-X inches, etc.? 0- 100%

If you do not have an existing module then where are you adding it?
Local Rack (1771 I/O)
Remote I/O (1794 flex, 1771, etc.)
What module are you adding, what slot?

Once these questions are answered, then at least we'll have a starting point