PLC Programming from a VM

If the VMware is just a single file backup, I am tempted to make the jump.

Well get ready to jump... VM Player creates a folder where all of your Virtual Machines reside. The only thing that is scattered is the Player app itself. It was one of the reasons I went to VMware over the Microsoft version.

I will extract my lateset image of my VM and do a defrag on my host to speed things back up. Then I just drop my VM images back in.

I just read a scary way of backing up virtual machine over here.
http://tinyurl.com/5ud7j3a

Iam using Vmware player 3.1.4 on Windows 7 64 bit OS. My Virtual machine holds XP.

OT
Does anybody use MAC OS on VMware with host being Windows 7?
The only Apple product I ever used is Safari, so just wanted to check out on MAC (Lion).
RIP Steve Jobs.

Hi,
Another approach that I use is Hyperos. Shortform - it uses Windows and redirects it to different partitions.
Since I program several different makes of PLC's, I keep each type in its own session. The advantages to me are :-
Lack of comms conflicts ( I hit a lot of problems with the early AB Panelview Plus software in particular )
Very Fast backups
All my Data is stored on one separate partition which has multiple backup options
New software is set up in a separate session, so existing software is unaffected whilst I test it
Each Session is lean and feels quick
Boots Quickly now a SSD has been added

Paul

I just read a scary way of backing up virtual machine over here.
http://tinyurl.com/5ud7j3a
Not sure what they are really doing there. If I need a new VM image I go to my library which has XP, 2000 and 98 versions.

I highlight the one I want then I copy it and paste it in the place I want. What that guy was doing is pretty bizzare. To your host machine VMplayer folders are just that and everything is contained in the folder.

Hi there Clay B
Files in the folder containing virtual machine are as shown in attached file. If I zip this folder my job of backing the virtual machine is done, right?
I can unzip it and start using it !

VM1.jpg

From VMware help.
Moving a Virtual Machine
When you use VMware Player to create a virtual machine, you can move it to a different computer, to a different location on the same computer,or to a host with a different operating system. For example, you can move a virtual machine from a Windows host to a Linux or ESX Server host.
Moving a virtual machine means moving the files that make up the virtual machine. The path names for all files associated with a VMware Player virtual machine are relative, meaning the path to each file is relative to the virtual machine directory. For example, if you are in the virtual machine directory, the relative path to the virtual disk file is <machine_name>.vmdk.

Also

Procedure
1)Copy all the files in the virtual machine directory to the new location.
To move the virtual machine’s files to another host, if you do not have a network connection to the new host, use a shared network directory, burn the files onto a DVD, or use some other storage media that has enough disk space.
2) On the new host, start VMware Player, click Open a VM.
3) Browse to the virtual machine’s configuration .vmx file in its new location.
If the virtual machine in the new location is not working correctly, examine the virtual machine in the original location to determine if you missed copying some files. Some files might reside outside of the virtual machine directory.
4) (Optional) When you are certain that the virtual machine in the new location works correctly, delete the virtual machine files from the old location.

VMware Player generates a different MAC address for the virtual network adapter when you move a virtual machine to a new host computer or to a different directory on the same host computer. A new MAC address is also generated when you rename a directory in the path to the virtual machine’s configuration file.

Last edited:
Vmware player 4.0 now supports drag and drop feature

Vmware player 4.0 now supports drag and drop feature between hoist machine and the virtual machine !! Link is here.
As of now I transfer files from hoist to stick, unplug it and then re plug in virtual machine.

2021 Linux?

Hi Guys,
This is a great thread, thank you so much for the valuable information. I am seriously considering making the leap to Linux Mint myself. Being 2021 and most of this thread is 10 years old I was wondering if this is still a viable and widely used solution in the community. I would love to hear of any potential road blocks with up to date software. It seems most people were using VMWare, is there much value in virtual box ? I would like to use whatever is most used on the community.

I usually use mainstream software like Schneider Control Expert, rslogix500/5000/studio5000 view studio ME/SE, Siemens TIA , wonder ware and GE Ifix and Proficy machine edition

Thank you again!

I like linux mint with cinnamon. I can get virtual box to work with my Win XP but Virtual Box does not support higher resolution monitors or Ethernet for WinXP so VMWare is a must.
Long ago I use to run WinXP on VMWare on windows. I could run RS5000 and Step7 without problems but it has been 10 years or so.

I have been using Slackware since the mid-nineties as my daily driver. I use VirtualBox exclusively as my VM. I currently have guest VMs of Win10, Win7, WinXP, and even Win2k. Aside from some early software versions that didn't play nice with the display (RA ViewPoint comes to mind), I haven't had any issues running on a VM. And with RA FTV not allowing multiple simultaneous version installs, there's no alternative for me, even if I wasn't a Linux bigot. Heh. I've run WW InTouch, all versions of RSLogix/Studio 5000 since v13, RSView/FTView 4.0+, WW InTouch, iFix, Unity Pro, GE Proficy, TIA Portal, CodeSYS, ProWorx, and several I'm sure I'm forgetting. It just works.

I'm currently running Slackware 14.2 (kernel 4.4.261) and VirtualBox 6.1.22 on an old Precision M4600 with 32GB. I currently have two Win7 and one Win10 guests running, with 22GB in use. Other than bandwidth and storage space, it doesn't cost anything to try it.

I like linux mint with cinnamon. I can get virtual box to work with my Win XP but Virtual Box does not support higher resolution monitors or Ethernet for WinXP so VMWare is a must.
Long ago I use to run WinXP on VMWare on windows. I could run RS5000 and Step7 without problems but it has been 10 years or so.

I'm not sure what "higher resolution" you refer to, but I run dual monitors at full HD. I've never had a guest VM that didn't work with it. Well, I haven't tried Win2k with dual displays.

If the VMware is just a single file backup, I am tempted to make the jump.

You can have your virtual disk stored in multiple files or a single file. You make that decision when you create the disk. The virtual machine is essentially just a config file that tells the software how to behave. VMWare doesn't keep them together by default. I create a folder for the virtual machine and point the virtual machine config and the virtual hard disk to that location to be saved when creating a new VM.

Hi Guys,
This is a great thread, thank you so much for the valuable information. I am seriously considering making the leap to Linux Mint myself. Being 2021 and most of this thread is 10 years old I was wondering if this is still a viable and widely used solution in the community. I would love to hear of any potential road blocks with up to date software. It seems most people were using VMWare, is there much value in virtual box ? I would like to use whatever is most used on the community.

I usually use mainstream software like Schneider Control Expert, rslogix500/5000/studio5000 view studio ME/SE, Siemens TIA , wonder ware and GE Ifix and Proficy machine edition

Thank you again!

I didn't realize it was 10 years old. Yes, it is viable. I do it. Though I prefer Kubuntu. Ubuntu just works. Pretty much everything but Labview is packaged to be used with Ubuntu. The release-cycle is nice. Plus I am a huge fan of KDE Plasma.

I'm not sure what "higher resolution" you refer to, but I run dual monitors at full HD. I've never had a guest VM that didn't work with it. Well, I haven't tried Win2k with dual displays.

I have WinXP running on Virtual Box. However, it can't display the video in 1920x1200. In the display settings I have the video memory set to 256MB which is the highest I am allowed. I set the monitor count to 1, scale factor to 100% and the graphics controller to VBoXVGA. This works but WinXP shows a small box in the middle of the screen. If I set the graphics controller to

VBoxSVGA I get an error.

I can't use Ethernet with WinXP running of V-Box either. I have the adapter enabled attached to NAT. Under advanced I have selected Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM). However, that driver is old and not supplied by V-Box additional tools
nor does Intel support in anymore.

Also, I have a linux mint and linx mx running on the same machine with the same ethernet setting and display setting. The linux VMs work but not the WinXP. Virtual Box does not seem to have updates for WinXP

Last edited: