Allen-Bradley PLC with Omron RFID Reader/Writer

Dimasa

Hello everyone,

I am a student at Humber College and I ran into an issue regarding the communication between 1756 ControlLogix Allen-Bradley PLC and an Omron RFID Reader/Writer V680S Series. I have set up the .EDS file for the reader to be recognized, so that my PLC can see it.

RSLinx now recognizes the reader and I have also added it as a module under Ethernet/IP communication card section in the RSLogix5000 program.

However, in order for the RFID reader to perform actions (read RFID tags) a certain commands need to be sent from the PLC. The problem is I can not accomplish that. I tried to use MSG instruction to perform communication, but every time I try to run the program, I get an error stating: "Conncetion Failure". The error code that I receive is #0315.

Please help me to figure out what can possibly go wrong in there, I have attached the MSG communication setup. If there is another way of communication from a PLC to a device, let me know, that would be helpful too.

Thank you.

Capture.jpg Capture1.PNG 2.PNG

I'm not up to speed on CLX but I've never seen a block transfer used for other than A-B modules. The OMRON sheet didn't mention that it was A-B block transfer capable.

That is true, manual does not state which type should I use. You think I should use the other one? If yes, then which one? If no, than what other method I can possibly use?

From what I've seen the RFID readers also have a soft of their own. You should set that up and connect to the reader, to see if the problem is from the connection of the PLC or of the RFID

Right, I forgot to mention that the RFID reader that I am using has its own web server in it. All the setting can be done through it, but I cannot get to the because of the programming language specifics, and communication issues that were stated earlier, as far as I understand.

I'm having a CML 65 and I want to connect it with a RFU620-10100 and so far I managed to use the profinet protocol. When I try to use the Ethernet/Ip scanner there seems to be some issues regarding the loading of 2 libraryes: IODrvCifXEthernetIPDCIA 0.0.0.0 (System); RIL_EthernetIP 0.0.0.0 (System).

Have you encountered any of this problems so far in your study?

Regarding your connection problem. Try to ping the RFID from the cmd, also check the p
PLC ip to be sure the both are in the same class.

I have not worked with Rexroth platforms yet, and therefore I don't think I am in a position to give an advice here, but you may not even use libraries for communication. Some of the devices use tag links (produced/consumed) instead, which I find easier. Take a look at it, that might work.

I have checked all 3 devices (PLC, PC, RFID reader). They are on the same network and I can ping them.