news article mentioning potential problems with IIoT

Ron Beaufort

Lifetime Supporting Member
Last edited:
Nothing new.
Unfortunately, most of our colleague do not have enough capacity when they need to make living harder for hackers.
Just try to imagine the millions of devices(Modbus, FINS, S7, etc.) connected to the internet without checking the authentication and IP address.

Last edited:
With IEC 62443 starting to be a requirement for alot of infrastructure in europe, "Cyber security" is the new buzzwords taking over from "Industy4.0", "IIOT" and so on...

Mention "Cyber security" in front of any Siemens employee and they will get hard :)

Ofc it is an important and also very interresting subject, but very much hyped if you ask me.

I've mentioned this before, but at a presentation during a (PHP) conference, someone said "IoT - the S is for security."

Nothing new.
Unfortunately, most of our colleague do not have enough capacity when they need to make living harder for hackers.
Just try to imagine the millions of devices(Modbus, FINS, S7, etc.) connected to the internet without checking the authentication and IP address.

In case anyone is wondering how to find them, go here:

www.shodan.io

I particularly like this camera:

http://110.4.157.98:82/top.htm?Currenttime=2020-12-08%2016:53:23

Although there are more interesting ones out there. Sadly, my favourite has been removed. A guy in Portugal had a S7-1200 with a web server and a mimic of a home. I doubt it actually controlled anything, but it looked neat.