Any news on Studio 5000 Designer V34 yet?

There's this export setting. Haven't tried it, yet.
hmm I forgot about that, but I think I have seen that before. Only problem is that I still need a way to automatically re-protect it when I import it back in to a ACD so that doesn't help right?

Or maybe if you re-import it to the same ACD it will re-protect everything since that info is storied in the ACD? I highly doubt it, but it is worth investigating when I have some time.

That is really cool except not sure how that is patentable.... other companies already offer this. I guess it is just more "We are Rockwell, we are special" stuff.

I think it's more like, "We spent millions to fight off the Solaia PLC-to-spreadsheet patent (aka "Solaia patent", aka '318 patent) for the whole industry, and we're never going to go through that again. "

The SDK thing sound like something that Rockwell did back in Logix500 -- exposing some of the VB methods so that a programmer could write code to so they could do automatic backups and such, not to write code in the PLC is some foreign language.

Never got much attention and never went anywhere.

Last edited:
I think it's more like, "We spent millions to fight off the Solaia PLC-to-spreadsheet patent (aka "Solaia patent", aka '318 patent) for the whole industry, and we're never going to go through that again. "

The SDK thing sound like something that Rockwell did back in Logix500 -- exposing some of the VB methods so that a programmer could write code to so they could do automatic backups and such, not to write code in the PLC is some foreign language.

Never got much attention and never went anywhere.

There was a Command Line interface for Studio 5000 I think the SDK is basically built on that.

But I have never found any documentation on an API for 500. Tech support told me that one didn't exist though they in a call center in India sooooo.

Spotted

Spotted this on the PCDC site this morning

V34.011 has been released for the following controllers:
• 5370 Safety
• 5570 Safety
• 5380 Safety (Sil2/Sil3)
• 5380 Process
• Includes redundancy bundle
• 5580 Safety
• 5580 Process
And V34.051_kit1 has been released for 5570 redundancy

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Installed it this morning. Testing on my 5480.

Also from release notes:
New features
  • Date and Time data types
Use date and time data types to standardize time and date values in Logix 5000 control systems. Standardized date and time values increase the accuracy
and reliability of time-stamped inputs, scheduled outputs, and time-based registration for motion control. They also help increase accuracy for Sequence of
Events, Time-stamped Data Logging and Analytics, and Time Synchronization within and across systems.
Specify a point in time with absolute time data types: DT (date and time) and LDT (long date and time). Specify a duration or length of time with relative time
data types: TIME32 (duration of time for 32-bit storage), TIME (duration of time for 64-bit storage), and LTIME (long duration of time for 64-bit storage). Date
and time data types are supported in these instructions: ADD, SUB, CLR, MOV, EQU, GEQ, GRT, LEQ, LES, NEQ, GSV, and SSV.

Note: This release is not intended to run on a 32-bit
operating system. All operating systems listed are the
64-bit variant.
  • Windows® 10 Professional and Enterprise
  • Windows 10 Enterprise 2021 LTSC (v21H2)
  • Windows Server 2019 Standard and Datacenter Editions

Functional Changes

Character limit for operands raised from 2048 to 4096
The maximum length for operand expressions is now 4096 characters.

Change in operating system support
Beginning in this release, the product installer prevents installation on all 32-bit versions of Windows operating systems (for example, Windows 10, 32-bit) and any Windows 7 operating system (for example, Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit).
Windows 7 + earlier and 32-bit support is out. I'll install on my Windows 11 machine this evening.

TIME32: Duration of time (relative). 32-bit storage; units are in microseconds. T32#2d_3h_1m_22s_123ms_678us
TIME: Duration of time (relative). 64-bit storage; units are in microseconds. T#8h_33s_234ms_679us
LTIME: Long duration of time (relative). 64-bit storage; units are in nanoseconds. LT#10s_522ms
DT: Date and time. 64-bit storage; units are in microseconds.
LDT: Long date and time. 64-bit storage; units are in nanoseconds.

During a quick test, GSV support is actually limited. GSV -> LINT - > COP works around. Will test more.

Does that mean we can have 4096 char strings now? Or am I miss interpreting that?
You could already have strings that long if you defined a suitable String data type. Haven't tested with a running processor, but as of v32 the software limits String types to 65535 characters.

I'm guessing this is something like the limit for entry into eg a CPT instruction.

You could already have strings that long if you defined a suitable String data type. Haven't tested with a running processor, but as of v32 the software limits String types to 65535 characters.

I'm guessing this is something like the limit for entry into eg a CPT instruction.
whaaaaaaa? I thought the string limit was 1024.

We use V32 on the 5380s. Is it more on the Control Logixs or am I just dense?

attachment.php

v32 on a 5380 (offline) as it happens.

Might be a limit on string constant length, didn't test that.

String.png