Siemens WinCC, Scout, and TIA license confusion

Helliana

I have a project coming up that was programmed in Step7 5.6, WinCC 2008 Flexible, and Scout 5.2. I currently have licenses for Step7 Pro and WinCC Professional (TIA portal). Do i need to also purchase a WinCC Flexible 2008 license or should i migrate the HMIs to portal in the the event i need to edit or replace an HMI? Should i get the standalone version of Scout or the TIA version? Can both the TIA and Standalone be installed at the same time?

I downloaded the trail, but it gives me an error that no license is available. That's why I assumed it is not included in the wincc pro license.

Can you be more specific?
You want to upgrade the whole project?
Or just maintain?

Ideally if you can migrate it all to Portal and use TIA Scout with a new comfort panel..
That’s the way to go

Also Stand alone Scout has Simatic Manager included with install. But no 300/400 stations included.
If you already have Step7 V5.x then standard version is the one to purchase. Not stand alone

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the WinCC flexible 2008 only falls under a "combo license", which you get only by upgrading WinCC flexible 2008 Compact/Standard/Advanced to WinCC Comfort/Advanced (not Professional).

This means you would have to buy WinCC Flexible 2008.

See below, under Software Upgrades and Software Update Service (SUS) -> Upgrades from WinCC flexible to WinCC (TIA Portal) ES

https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/automation-software/en/tia-portal-software/wincc-tia-portal/wincc-tia-portal-es/tabcards/pages/licenses.aspx

Last edited:
Can you be more specific?
You want to upgrade the whole project?
Or just maintain?

Will be maintaining an existing installation.

Thanks for the clarification with Scout. Still not really sure if i need WinCC 2008 Flexible or not though. The siemens website mentions migration, but not sure i can still buy a 2008 Flex license. Not sure what the exact panels are, just got a list of required software from the OEM/integrator that said WinCC Flexible 2008 was required.